Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you deal with dry air in your house in the winter?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM
  • 24 Replies

As the temperatures get colder, my house gets drier. We don't have a furnace - which I believe lets the house use a humidifier on it. What I've been doing is to hang some damp laundry in the bedroom to help the air there stay a little more humid. What do you do?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure what a furnace has to do with a humidifier, but we bought a humidifier at Target for $25 and it does a great job. If you get a warm air one then it will make the house feel a little warmer too. I also encourage everyone in the house to leave the exhaust fans off in the bathroom when they're taking a shower and then open the door as soon as they're done, so we can use that steam. Good luck! It's no fun having everything so dry and full of static.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Some furnaces have a humidifier built in, I think.  Good idea about letting the shower steam get into the house. I may end up buying a small humidifier- warm air. 

Quoting GirlieGal76:

I'm not sure what a furnace has to do with a humidifier, but we bought a humidifier at Target for $25 and it does a great job. If you get a warm air one then it will make the house feel a little warmer too. I also encourage everyone in the house to leave the exhaust fans off in the bathroom when they're taking a shower and then open the door as soon as they're done, so we can use that steam. Good luck! It's no fun having everything so dry and full of static.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i put a huge stock pot of water on the stove to simmer

jst don't forget about it

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

have a humidifier on our furnace

but i still boil water on the stove

Quoting GirlieGal76:

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a humidifier on the furnace. I also have a indoor heated pool and hot tub and leave that door open when it gets bad. I realize not all have this option though :)
withsecond
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We just use a humidifier.
northernmommy
by Jen on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i boil water and hang laundry to dry on the clothes line i strung through the dining room and living room

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

At one time I had a console humidifier, but it was a nuisance to have to keep cleaning it and the belt, so I gave it away.

Quoting withsecond: We just use a humidifier.

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I place my Dutch oven filled with water on stove. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a vaporizer, but it died o.O So I replaced it with this:

I like it much more. The vaporizer heated the room too much and didn't allow much control over the steam. There was a low and high setting, nothing in between, and it wasn't nearly as effective as this ultrasonic humidifier is. I do miss the medicine cup, but I rarely used it anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)