Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cats don't smell... do they?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 177 Replies
1 mom liked this

I watched a show on HGTV today where the couple was being shown houses and they made a big fuss about how the place smelled of cats.  We have the litter box in the basement, and I really don't think our house smells, but then maybe I wouldn't notice. My mom's place doesn't smell.  Do you think that assuming the litter box is not in the main house that a house with cats smells?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that cats do smell, especially if things are not kept vacuumed and the litter box cleaned.  But if you keep everything clean it should be fine.  Dogs smell too. 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I was looking at houses last spring and we walked into one that smelled horribly of cats. There was cat hair everywhere and the carpet was very obviously stained, it would have taken replacing all the carpet and painting to even remotely get the smell out. Now, we have one cat and our house doesn't smell like cat but he is also perfectly house trained and I vacuum and sweep and such so there isn't hair everywhere. If you didn't clean your house well enough, then yes it will smell like cat.

Also there is a different smell between a cat and dog, I can walk into someone's perfectly clean house and smell dog if they have one. Even more so if the dog is a bigger dog. I can't do that with people who have cats as much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I visited a lady who kept her litter box in her bathroom, which was just off of the living room, and the odor was so strong! I think things are clean here.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

I think that cats do smell, especially if things are not kept vacuumed and the litter box cleaned.  But if you keep everything clean it should be fine.  Dogs smell too. 

we-r-up-to-4
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM
3 moms liked this
You're probably used to it. Yes keeping a house clean helps but its like smokers. They don't think they stink but oh my goodness to a non-smoker they sure do.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Yike! Not good. Yes if the cats have used the carpet then I can see if it isn't cleaned properly that it would smell. :( 

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I was looking at houses last spring and we walked into one that smelled horribly of cats. There was cat hair everywhere and the carpet was very obviously stained, it would have taken replacing all the carpet and painting to even remotely get the smell out. Now, we have one cat and our house doesn't smell like cat but he is also perfectly house trained and I vacuum and sweep and such so there isn't hair everywhere. If you didn't clean your house well enough, then yes it will smell like cat.

Also there is a different smell between a cat and dog, I can walk into someone's perfectly clean house and smell dog if they have one. Even more so if the dog is a bigger dog. I can't do that with people who have cats as much.

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this
My cat poop stinks. I change litter box every day.
RedneckCrazy
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

We have 2 strictly indoor cats. Most people don't even know we have cats! If the litter box is kept clean, there should not be an odor.

sorcha1945
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes cats smell and its not the litter. Its hard to describe but I will try. It's kind of a musty smell with a hint of sweetness to it. That's the best I can do.
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Bring a friend over who doesn't have pets and see if she can detect a smell.  If not, you're probably ok.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I agree about changing the litter every day. I can't imagine letting it sit for more than a day. :(

Quoting NeonGirl9583: My cat poop stinks. I change litter box every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN