Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clothing for dogs?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

Petco Smoochie Pooch Pink Heart Dog Dress

PAWZ Dog Boots

Boneheads Waterproof Raincoat for Dogs

What do you think about clothes for dogs?  Protective jackets for a dog who doesn't deal well with the cold, or a reflective jacket for walking the dog in the dark.  What about paw protectors, What about little cute outfits, just because? I see this more and more, people just getting cute clothes for their dogs because it is fun. What are your thoughts?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Given how the weather is, I think the  protective gear is smart.   People tend to say "oh they are animals, they can handle the cold" Uh no.  Very few breeds were raised in arctic conditions so very few animals can handle it.

toopicky429
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I can understand things to keep them warm, but my Great Danes would look silly in tutus, lol. We don't dress our dogs.
BoopBettyBoop
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Our little Minion (a "minchiweenie - min pin, chihuahua and dachsund) had a sweater and a heavier coat to wear outside.  I actually made her sweater out of my daughters old sweatshirt sleeve.  She is in between a small and medium you buy at the store.  Other than that, we don't "dress" her.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I agree about protecting the dog when they aren't a cold climate breed. I wondered about some whippets that I saw being walked the other day. They don't strike me as a warm climate breed, but they seemed to be doing OK on their walk.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Given how the weather is, I think the  protective gear is smart.   People tend to say "oh they are animals, they can handle the cold" Uh no.  Very few breeds were raised in arctic conditions so very few animals can handle it.

withsecond
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't dress our dog.
I could understand for the little dogs to have coats because they're smaller but my golden has a thick coat, he doesn't need a jacket and since we don't stay out in the cold long, he really doesn't need one.
monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

i think they are cute. when i had a dog (a chihuahua/jack russell mix), i had a few outfits for her. she didnt particularly love them though lol

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!!  I see at crafts shows now some whimsical clothing for dogs, and some shops have them. I am wondering if this is a trend and at some time in the future all dogs will be clothed. :)

Quoting toopicky429: I can understand things to keep them warm, but my Great Danes would look silly in tutus, lol. We don't dress our dogs.

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I don't have dogs, but I think the outfits are cute. I'm not sure I'd buy them or not.

Quoting monkeydavis05:

i think they are cute. when i had a dog (a chihuahua/jack russell mix), i had a few outfits for her. she didnt particularly love them though lol

browncoat
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I put sweaters and coats on my dog because we live up north and she's short coated. She loves the! I've never done paw protectors because there's no way she'd keep them on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)