Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How safe do you feel in your home?

Posted by   + Show Post

While discussing a recent rash of home invasions with my neighbor, I said that I always keep the doors locked and she told me never locks her doors except when she goes to bed at night. That has me more than a little concerned about her, but she says there's nothing to worry about because "nobody ever breaks into anything in our neighborhood."

How safe do you feel in your home? Do you always lock your doors?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
Farmlady09
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

We don't lock our door ~ we live in the woods. Before anyone can get within an acre of our home they have to get past guinea fowl (which can be heard a mile away, roost in trees where they can't be seen, and which hate strangers), the peafowl (which are louder than the guineas and which hate strangers even more), 100 ducks that will waddle right onto strangers feet hoping they have food, a donkey who brays loud enough to be heard a mile away and honkey honks any time he sees a stranger or a friend, two livestock guardian dogs weighing 135 pounds each, two pet dogs that bark anytime they see a human, and my yard roosters. Seriously, it sounds like a jungle here when someone steps onto the property. Even a crazed meth head would likely head right on down the road lol.

Arwyn724
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I've lived in my home for 22 years, and I only lock the doors when I go on vacation.

supercarp
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I feel safe in my house: I live in a nice neighborhood but I always have my doors locked, I have a big hairy dog, I have a security system that announces when a door or window in the house opens and I keep a handgun in my nightstand. It put it away when I have houseguests.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Even though I feel extremely safe I do lock my doors.

RHayden25
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I keep the doors locked all the time, even when I am home! And we live in a fairly safe and small suburb. 

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

My doors are always locked. Dh works overnight so I'm home alone with the kids. I'm used to it but there are nights where I'm a little spooked. I probably watch too much ID. 

Anyways, it's funny when I talk about being home alone and my family and friends are like "you're good, you live in the suburbs now". I find it silly that people think stuff doesn't happen in the suburbs. 

amberNewman0213
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Our doors stay locked. All I can say is if someone even attempts to break in our home they won't make it out alive. Me and hubs carry a weapon on us at all times and have a few in hidden places threw out the home. Out of children's reach of course.
waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Well they would have to climb an 8ft concrete wall or go through a security gate that needs a code to open it. We also have an alarm on our house and 2 large dogs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM
While I do feel safe, I also keep my doors locked at all times.
djenesis81
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I bought my house almost 5 1/2 years ago and I have always felt safe.  I never leave my doors unlocked, not even when we're home.  I lock my car all the time, never leave anything in it or outside to tempt someone into stealing or breaking in.  On New Years Day I found that while my car was parked in my driveway in the alley that someone came up with a crowbar and pried around the top and side of my driver's side window.  They didn't get it very far, just enough to where you can get a few fingers in, and then either got scared off or gave up.  There was nothing in there for them to steal so I assume they were going to try and take the whole vehicle but who knows.  They never would've gotten away with it, I have a high security system on it, it disables the engine and if they had gotten their hand in the door the motion sensor would've went off.  It sucks though because they caused a little over $3,000 in damages.  The whole door has to get replaced and they jacked up my frame and the roof of the vehicle.

Ever since then we don't feel safe, I'm about to get a security system for the house.  I never park the vehicle in the alley driveway now, just park it out front or park it in the garage.  No other reports were filed near my neighborhood so it appears as if I was singled out.  I have a nice SUV (Mitsubishi Outlander) but it's not like a sports car that someone would want to steal and joyride in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN