Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How safe do you feel in your home?

Posted by   + Show Post

While discussing a recent rash of home invasions with my neighbor, I said that I always keep the doors locked and she told me never locks her doors except when she goes to bed at night. That has me more than a little concerned about her, but she says there's nothing to worry about because "nobody ever breaks into anything in our neighborhood."

How safe do you feel in your home? Do you always lock your doors?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
border7305
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM
My doors are always lock, day or night and a light on at night. I also have 2 inside Dogs :)
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM
I always locked my doors!
SouthernSweetT
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I want to come visit just to see this all in action! But ill bring bread for the ducks.

Quoting Farmlady09:

We don't lock our door ~ we live in the woods. Before anyone can get within an acre of our home they have to get past guinea fowl (which can be heard a mile away, roost in trees where they can't be seen, and which hate strangers), the peafowl (which are louder than the guineas and which hate strangers even more), 100 ducks that will waddle right onto strangers feet hoping they have food, a donkey who brays loud enough to be heard a mile away and honkey honks any time he sees a stranger or a friend, two livestock guardian dogs weighing 135 pounds each, two pet dogs that bark anytime they see a human, and my yard roosters. Seriously, it sounds like a jungle here when someone steps onto the property. Even a crazed meth head would likely head right on down the road lol.

maxsmommy1010
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I used to keep mine locked all the time but since we moved next to my fiances family I don't because my soon to be niece or sister in law usually need me for something and if I'm in back I can't hear them knock... Since my niece is 6 they also asked if I keep my door open so she can cone in if she needs to when she's outside playing. Plus I have a giant st Bernard that usually is off putting to strangers

highlandmum
by Spunky Dancer on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Mine are unlocked and usually my overhead garage door is open.  My 8 year old son is back and forth all the time along with his friends.  I do not think anyone in my area keeps their doors locked during the day as you always see their children just running in to the house.  As soon as mine are in for the night I lock them.

For those of you who lock the door what do you do when your children are outside (in the front).  Do they have to knock or ring the door bell to get in?  I would not trust my 8 year old with a key as he would lose it every time.

olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I feel very safe. Thats why i live here. I used to live in an apartment in th city. I hated it. I had neighbors getting arrested and causeing trouble. Never again. I dont generally lock my doors. I have forgotten to lock them when i leave the house. But ive got a dog as well.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I feel safer than I probably should, since we live within a mile of a county corrections institute, but we have never had problems. I keep my front door locked, but I'm not as good about the back one, since we are frequently letting the dog in and out.

justbereal
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I feel very safe. They are both locked n unlocked depending. 6 months ago the answer woulda been so diff. We lived on a really and street. Drug activity, shootings.. it was bad.
Sheri0427
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I feel very safe. I have two dogs, one who was a rescue dog.  The rescue dog is the best guard dog, I think because he is so happy to have a family he wants to protect it! But we live in the country.

reefermadness
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM

NO. My neigborhood has a bad rap from years ago, and even though it has calmed down considerably, I am not going to chance it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)