Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Self Inducing at 37-38 wks???? Update in Red

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM
  • 29 Replies

My Friend is due around the same time as my self and she just asked me what she could do at home to induce labor!! I told her I didn't know anything but I didn't think trying was safe... has anyone here heard of someone doing this??? She has me freaked out.... I Know its her body and her baby but thats NOT safe is it?? She asked me about some kind of oil? and running... NONE of that is safe is it?? I mean we're not even considered full term yet!!!

Update: She was talking about Pre-something Oil... NOT Castor OIL Thank goodness!! but I have pretty much got her talked out of trying (or at least she is telling me she isn't anyways) But I also explained that 37 wks is NOT considered Full term and she needs to wait til she is at least 39 wks if she chooses to try to induce... but that it may not work anyways!! Although she is now 38 wks so if she can wait just ONE more week then I will be happy and NOT so freaking worried!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CarlyEliz
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM
37 weeks is considered full term... Atleast thats what iv always been told. But she shouldn't be trying to rush the baby out.
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Oh I thought we were still considered Pre-term... til 39 wks... atleast thats what my OB told me... But She just has me freaked out!! Babies come when they are ready...

Quoting CarlyEliz: 37 weeks is considered full term... Atleast thats what iv always been told. But she shouldn't be trying to rush the baby out.

CafeMom Tickers
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her no. Just no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM
There's a lot you can safely try to get things moving- they won't work if your body isn't ready, so unless you're at risk for preterm labor it's not an issue. Castor oil would NOT be my first choice though :/ the side effect of being stuck to the toilet for the next day just isn't worth it lol
momma2b2008
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM
They are now saying 39 weeks is considered full term.

And tell her baby will come when baby is good and ready. There is nothing that will make baby come any faster.

Quoting indianamom1985:

Oh I thought we were still considered Pre-term... til 39 wks... atleast thats what my OB told me... But She just has me freaked out!! Babies come when they are ready...

Quoting CarlyEliz: 37 weeks is considered full term... Atleast thats what iv always been told. But she shouldn't be trying to rush the baby out.

CarlyEliz
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM
That's what I was told by the midwives when I was pregnant. I was almost 42 weeks when mine decided to finally come out

Quoting indianamom1985:

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Is this your first?
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

This is my second and her first... I just don't think its a safe Idea for her to try anything to get her little guy here any sooner then they are ready!!

Quoting pinkiebabii: Is this your first?

CafeMom Tickers
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I tried primrose oil and pineappl and rasberries with my 3rd... but I was 39 weeks, had been having prodomo labor for 2 weeks and had been told at 37 weeks by my doctor "it would be good if the baby would come now, it is already very big." 

MamaH.Watkins
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM

My mom was induced at 36 weeks and her and my lil sis came home two days later.  You could tell your friend to have sex.  I heard having sex can send you into labor in your last trimester.  Other than that she could ask her doctor to take her early.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN