Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Abscess? Ewwww, what do I do?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
So I had an egg sized abcess and went in, they said it had mostly already drained and packed it and gave me antibiotics and sent me home. The packing they put in was like a string I was suppose to pull a inch out each day... So I did, but today it like pushed the last couple of inches out on its own. Should I repack it? Or if it came out itself is that a sign it's healed enough and that's why it's pushing it out? It itches a lot but there's no pain just a little tender if i put pressure on it. Not bad at all though.
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pinklovesnore
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
It should be fine. I delt with the same issue a few years ago, just keep surrounding area clean and watch it for a while to make sure its healing properly. i wouldn't repack it though. you could end up forcing the bacteria back in along with whatever else has touched the packing.
D.Tetz
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Quoting pinklovesnore: It should be fine. I delt with the same issue a few years ago, just keep surrounding area clean and watch it for a while to make sure its healing properly. i wouldn't repack it though. you could end up forcing the bacteria back in along with whatever else has touched the packing.

I have fresh packing... I just am scared to actually pack in myself. I'd rather not if it's not needed.
SusanD
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

The packing that you have, was that given to you by your doctor with the instructions to repack it at any point?

SusanD
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this

The reason that I ask about the gauze is because typically speaking when an abcess is drained it is packed with iodoform gauze. Iodoform gauze (it comes in a small bottle) is coated in an antiseptic and is a bit damp. It is packed up into the wound using as clean of a technique as is possible. A lot of times abcesses tunnel and the packing is packed into that entire area. Its typically very very painful to pack and done after the area has been injected with lidocaine to help deaden the area to some degree, though I personally find that it does not come close to deadening abcesses for most people. Typically speaking the packing is just removed all at once, 24-48 hours after the abcess has been drained (though some providers instructions do differ).

D.Tetz
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM
It ended up healing and ya it was that special pack, but then I got two more really small ones in a completely different area that I drained myself and they have healed up but seriously wtf why am I getting these ugh.
Bribriesmom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Have you been to a public shower, pool, sauna, tanning bed etc. They are very contagious and we use to isolate our clients when they got them, but theirs was due to being in jail/prison and drug use.

Quoting D.Tetz: It ended up healing and ya it was that special pack, but then I got two more really small ones in a completely different area that I drained myself and they have healed up but seriously wtf why am I getting these ugh.
momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I think its fione.And itching is a sign of healing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)