Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

7 week old cries all the time

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 7 week old cries 75% of the time. She doesn't want anything, nothing makes it better or makes her happy. I am so discouraged and just sad. Does this ever get better? I just want to be happy to be around my baby and not feel like a total failure.

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mabeetle
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
You may want to goto the doctor. It could be acid reflux. My son would scream and scream at that age. In the meantime you could see if keeping baby upright during feeding and 30 minutes after eating. Elevating the head of the bed/ bassinet so his head is above his stomache. But definitely see your doctor.
mabeetle
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
And hugs to you. It does get better.
Rotorkitty
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Are you breast feeding? Bottle feeding? My firstborn was like that and it turned out she had a protein sensitivity. She couldn't poop easily as a newborn either so she was very uncomfortable. We started her on alimentum formula and she was soo much better after just one bottle. Breast feeding you can pass whatever you eat if she has the protein sensitivity so it can make her uncomfortable.

MixedCooke
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be colic and there is very little to do but to ride it out because like you said, they want nothing.  Here are some things that you can try though:

1. maybe still gassy--rub belly counterclockwise, bicycle legs, rub back in an upwards motion
  2. too much too soon--too much sounds, too much lights can be overwhelming--go into a dark and quiet room
  3. shushing sound-mimics what they heard in the belly
  4. swaddling--some like it and some do NOT
  5. Motion--rocking, walking, driving
  6. warm water--they were swimming for 9  months, so most babies like the feel of water
  7. lay her on your heart--thats what they heard in your belly and is soothing
  8. too hot/too cold--some babies run higher than normal temps and prefer to be just in a onesie or naked
  9. still hungry--maybe didnt get enough from your boobs or maybe the formula doesnt agree with them
  10. general sleep rule--newborns sleep about 18 hours per day--like up hour down an hour then time awake increases as they get older.
amberferrell7
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My lo was like that after she was born. I felt like you did. I didn't know how to make it better and thought I was a failure. You feeling that way means you're a good mom. It's totally normal. My lo is now 6 months today and is the happiest baby I know. I just wanted you to know it does get better. I thought it would never end. Now she only cries if she needs something.

Also, maybe lo has colic. Lorelei had it something fierce. We broke down and used colic drops which helped tremendously. If you can't take it anymore, lay lo in a safe place and regrpup. Good luck
Jgamble1126
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:48 AM

She is on soy formula, we also had her on a couple of meds for reflux because dr thought that was a possibility and they didn't help, we give gas drops and gripe water and sometimes they seem to help. She will only sleep for 30 minutes after a bottle and then she's awake until time for the next one, that's all the sleep she ever gets. I've tried giving more formula thinking she was still hungry and she always knows when she's full and will rarely take much extra. I try holding/bouncing/rocking/walking..her swing..her rocker..her crib..on her tummy (just to fall asleep). My dr keeps talking about this "3 month miracle" that she will magically become happy at around 3 months and I really hope it's true. Thank you for the encouraging words, my husband does his best to make us both feel better but hearing it from other moms is just better :) also dr has said she doesn't have colic? I didn't know whether to buy that or not, dr said some babies are just unhappy about being out of the womb for the "first 3 months" (3 month miracle again).

amberferrell7
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:43 AM
1 mom liked this
He's probably talking about the wonder weeks with the "third month miracle." Do some research on the wonder weeks.
annie82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM
It does get better..... She may be over tired/ stimulated which is causing a vicious cycle to develop. From what you say she is not completing a sleep cycle or able to resettle herself into the next one. This would cause her to wake irratable and be harder to settle for next sleep. I'd look up some settling techniques etc....
And do you swaddle her for sleep? Most babies love it and it helps them from waking.
Good luck.... It can be really tough these first weeks. Xx
AviannasMama
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM
My first was like that and it was Reflux.

My second was 10x worse and it was colic. Around 3 months it went away. We swaddled, used a white noise machine, I used a baby carrier around the house, and I put on this video called Baby's Got Colic I believe? The video is pretty creepy looking but it is AMAZING! ! I have a video of my son screaming crying and I put on the video and IMMEDIATELY he stopped!! I put it on my Facebook and people were SHOCKED!!

I would google colic relief. You'll find TONS of tips! You have to just figure out what works for your baby.
Molimomma
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM

My son was what is called a "high needs baby" in that he slept little, ate often but not a lot, and really needed to be held(and later entertained) most of the time. It.Was.Exhausting. Two things that helped him most was baby wearing during the day and skin to skin whenever possible, and bouncing on my big exercise ball. He liked the rocking chair for feeding or falling asleep but during the awake times he really liked for me to sit and bounce with him on the ball(bonus it will help get your tummy/core muscles back). Another odd trick that worked when he was very small was sitting in the bathroom with the water running(like for a bath) I used to do that when he was extra revved up and seemed like nothing would make it stop. I promise that as she gets older it gets better but it is a long road. Just remember to breathe and if you really can't take it for one more second put her down in her crib or bassinet or swing or whatever and go to your bedroom, or just out in the backyard, or wherever and take a minute. Because this IS hard and it does wear on you but it will also not last forever!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)