Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

maybe I'm stupid but I'm confused

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

before Christmas break I had a parent teacher conference with my son's teacher ( 1st grade) his teacher expressed concern with his progress... that she was afraid he was falling behind and if he didn't improve he might have to repeat. I was very concerned by that naturally. a few days  later I received a paper saying that based on his test scores he might need assistance with reading...and this was when I started to get confused. they gave his test results. the results said he " meets standard" doesn't that mean he is where he should be?  then this week I got his report card and it had  63% in language arts( spelling and phonics), 92% in reading,60% in handwriting, 89% in math,100% in science,95% in social studies,93 % in technology,and 95% in PE... now I know there were a couple of not so great grades in there but overall these do not look like the grades of a child in danger of failing to me... do they to you? am I crazy? am I just being one of those mom's who thinks her kid can't fail

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

The 63 % and the 60% are what would cause him to fail.   If he is not able to spell or meet whatever phonics standards they have, he could fail .  I am guessing this since our school does not have number grades like this until 3rd grade.   I would have another meeting and ask the teacher to clarify wherever i was confused on grading.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

The 63 % and the 60% are what would cause him to fail.   If he is not able to spell or meet whatever phonics standards they have, he could fail .  I am guessing this since our school does not have number grades like this until 3rd grade.   I would have another meeting and ask the teacher to clarify wherever i was confused on grading.

well I know the language arts grade(63) is because of 2 bad spelling tests one of which he never brought home his words to study. which leaves handwriting .... he does struggle with that, but I just can't imagine a child being placed in remedial reading and failing because of his hand writing and 2 bad spelling tests.

Pnukey
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, those low reading and language arts grades are only 1 or 2 scores away from failing. Anything below a C is "in danger of failing" in my book.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Quoting Pnukey:

Yeah, those low reading and language arts grades are only 1 or 2 scores away from failing. Anything below a C is "in danger of failing" in my book.

his reading score is 92% that is an A I thought

Belovedmoonpixi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

well, meet standards might be "just barely", but, to me, those grades do not look like those of a child about to fail. I´ll ask for another meeting...

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Quoting Belovedmoonpixi:

well, meet standards might be "just barely", but, to me, those grades do not look like those of a child about to fail. I´ll ask for another meeting...

it could be just barely... but... yeah it just seems like they are over reacting

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM

BUMP!

Pnukey
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Quoting ditsyjo:

Quoting Pnukey:

Sorry, language arts. Still, that's why. Just make sure the grades go up instead of down and you'll be fine.

invisibleme
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Depends where your at. Here that's a B.

Quoting ditsyjo:

Quoting Pnukey:

MommaRose3
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Is she a new teacher. Sometimes the newbies follow to many standards. Children progress at differant rates. And excell in some areas while not in others. I hate when they try to fit all kids in the same box. Just encourage him daily. It will work out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)