Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Omg! Had to call the poison control center for the first time!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
  • 18 Replies
About 30 minutes ago my 19 mo daughter climbed onto my bed to reach up on my dresser to get the container of petroleum jelly and she managed to open it by herself and stated eating it! Called the PCC and they said that this was really common and the worst thing that might happen is she's have an upset tummy and loose poops from the grease. My heart damn near stopped when I caught her eating it! Was literally shaking. But she seems ok. No change in activity or behavior. No crying so I guess her tummy is ok. But holy crap I'm still freaking out! My older child never did anything like this so it was a first time possible poisening scare. But thank God she is gonna be ok!!
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Scary :(
Let us know how she is tomorrow .
Hugs to you :)

lady.doll
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM
My ds drank childrens pepto when he was 2 or so. Scared the crud out of me. No clue how he got the top off!
taKENheart
by Flovely on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry that you had that scare!  I would still expect some loose bowels the next few days depending on how much she had.  Hopefully her tummy won't hurt but if she starts being fussy then it might be that her tummy is hurting from it :(
You were quick on your toes to call the number!  Good for you!  I wouldn't know what number to call without googling first...luckily I don't have babies anymore.

nanasue31204
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It happens and fast too. My third son got into one of those candles you put in a jack o lantern when he was a year old. I was boxing all our Halloween decorations up and had an extra candle thing, I put it on the table and had to run into the kitchen for something. He was in the living room with his brothers and I was literally out of sight for maybe 2 minutes. He started screaming, I rushed around the corner and he had the candle, lid off and it was all over his mouth and was already gasping for air. I immediately called 911 and started rinsing his mouth out, they connected me to poison control, who were completely useless. The dispatcher kept saying he would be fine unless he was having difficulty breathing, which I had already told her that he was gasping, there was a language barrier and I finally just told her never mind when I heard the ambulance. We rushed to the hospital and they had to keep him 2 days because he got some of the oil in his lungs. I of coarse was drilled by I don't know how many people, I think they thought I forced him to drink it, I felt like the worlds worst mom already and for them to keep asking what happened was terrible. Thankfully my little man is fine, had no lasting effects and is now a very healthy, active 5 year old. He's still a handful and I've been to the ER with him many times for various things but that was definitely the worst moment of my parenting years.
xanthe21
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM
The number is the same in every state and really easy to remember. 18002221222. But I had issues bcuz my cell is a houston area code so it went to the Texas PCC and I had to borrow a phone with a Missouri area code to call. She ate pretty much all of it. It was a new container and when I found her it was almost all gone.
Quoting taKENheart:

I'm so sorry that you had that scare!  I would still expect some loose bowels the next few days depending on how much she had.  Hopefully her tummy won't hurt but if she starts being fussy then it might be that her tummy is hurting from it :(You were quick on your toes to call the number!  Good for you!  I wouldn't know what number to call without googling first...luckily I don't have babies anymore.

funmommy123
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I called for tue first time when my son was around 1 (almost 2). He got my deodorant & had it in his mouth. I started freaking out. I was told it's okay & he'll be fine.
xanthe21
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I am glad everything turned out fine with your son even and that there were no lasting effects. This was only my second worst parenting scare. When my son was 18 months old he and my brother who was 21 months at the time, were playing and my brother fell on top of my son on our old apartment's cement floors. We immediately went to the er and ct scans showed he actually fractured his skull! And we had to stay in the er over night so they could monitor him and same thing that happened to you, so many people were called in to interview me, my husband and step mom. They asked the same questions a lot of different ways, to see if I would like slip up or change my story or something. I think bcuz I am a young mom and at the time I was 19, but all of our stories matched up bcuz we were telling the truth! But I still felt awful! And I think I felt even worse bcuz these people actually thought I could do something like that to my own baby.
Quoting nanasue31204: It happens and fast too. My third son got into one of those candles you put in a jack o lantern when he was a year old. I was boxing all our Halloween decorations up and had an extra candle thing, I put it on the table and had to run into the kitchen for something. He was in the living room with his brothers and I was literally out of sight for maybe 2 minutes. He started screaming, I rushed around the corner and he had the candle, lid off and it was all over his mouth and was already gasping for air. I immediately called 911 and started rinsing his mouth out, they connected me to poison control, who were completely useless. The dispatcher kept saying he would be fine unless he was having difficulty breathing, which I had already told her that he was gasping, there was a language barrier and I finally just told her never mind when I heard the ambulance. We rushed to the hospital and they had to keep him 2 days because he got some of the oil in his lungs. I of coarse was drilled by I don't know how many people, I think they thought I forced him to drink it, I felt like the worlds worst mom already and for them to keep asking what happened was terrible. Thankfully my little man is fine, had no lasting effects and is now a very healthy, active 5 year old. He's still a handful and I've been to the ER with him many times for various things but that was definitely the worst moment of my parenting years.
Vmiller2008
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep, my 18 month twins get into everything. I constantly have to keep an eye on them cause they work as a team.
xanthe21
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Well she is asleep now. Everything seems ok. Now that the scary part is over, I'm thinking about how dry my hands are from drying to wash the petroleum jelly out of her hair. But it won't come out! My hands are cracking from the cold. I could use some vasoline...oh wait! My baby ate it all. I know I know. I'm terrible!
gregheather
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Dawn dish soap will get it out of her hair. My DD sprayed the carpet cleaner in her face when she was a year old. She was fine, but it freaked me out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)