Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you make your children eat at the dinner table?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
  • 74 Replies

I was just reading an article about how kids who consistantly eat dinner at the dining table, and kids who are allowed to serve themselves, are actually slimmer and that the learn to only eat until they are full.

What do you think about these findings?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Weve always just eaten at the dinner table. I like sitting down together and talking. Plus I dont want to worry about spills and such on furniture.

I think the study could hold some truth. Other studies geared towards adults say youre more likely to overeat when youre watching tv and not thinking about how much youre eating.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids always eat at the dinner table, unless there is something special going on or they're sick.  We enjoy sitting at the table and spending time together.

Paigesmommy78
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Yes we eat a the diner table as a family most nights
brit_marie
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My first child is due in June, but I think eating together as a family at the table is important. I think it's quality family time and is also a good opportunity to teach them proper etiquette (please, thank you, etc.). The findings make sense to me... I think it instills good eating habits. Children who eat their meals in front of the TV are probably more likely to grow into teens and adults who constantly snack while watching TV (or driving, etc.)

unoriginal
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

We all start out at the table but if my toddler is finished eating and asks to get down, we don't make her sit there.  

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Ever since the baby got his high chair at 5.5 months we eat dinner as a family.  Often, he screams and cries because he doesn't want to be in the high chair (he wants to be on the floor playing) but he will learn and this will be his normal. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM
We usually sit at the table but sometimes I let the kids spread out a blanket and have a picnic in the family room and watch a movie or TV. Those are usually the nights DH works late or if there's something really special on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

my kids eat at the table and dish their own food.  They are all very slim.  I cant speak for anyone else

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We eat at the table now...but this is a just reently started thing. I didn't have enough chairs for all of us (we only had 3 chairs, so we all ate together in the living room with the TV off) until 6 months or so ago. And they've always made their own plates...well, since they've been able to.

One of my boys is rail thin, one is average..both are 50lbs (7 and 5.5). My daughter is 16 months old and 20lbs.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Not always but yes. I think it was one of the best parenting decisions I ever made and now my twins are 20 they think so too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)