Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you make your children eat at the dinner table?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just reading an article about how kids who consistantly eat dinner at the dining table, and kids who are allowed to serve themselves, are actually slimmer and that the learn to only eat until they are full.

What do you think about these findings?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
TheSilence
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM
We eat at the table but he is too little to serve himself. We adhere to portion control.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

we eat our meals at the table, unless it is pizza and a movie night.

withsecond
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM
They hardly ever eat at the table.
luvbugs3
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I make them sit at the table to eat.

Momoftwinkies
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM
We always eat at the table together. I have 3 tiny kids and one that is average.
momma-of-three3
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM
We eat together Wednesdays through Sundays. Me and dh get home late on Mondays and Tuesdays so my older dds make dinner for themselves and ydd. They are 16, 15, and 11 though.
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

yes i do

we usually eat as a family but i serve them because if they do they end up with more than they would eat

alliweben
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM

We don't "make" them.  It's just understood that's what we do.  It's the way I was brought up and I never thought my parents were "making" us eat at the table.   It's an important time to connect as well as having nutritional value.    We will move dinner time up or down to accommodate soccer practice, dance class, etc. 

IUMer
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Usually. Sometimes i just want to sit in the living room and eat.

mamatink7
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

We always eat at supper table, I serve though 1st time we get paper towels and drinks sit down & pray before mealtime. Thats just what we do

Not sure about any study, seems that there are studies on just about everything that occurs in life now-is there anything that is not being studied?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)