Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you make your children eat at the dinner table?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just reading an article about how kids who consistantly eat dinner at the dining table, and kids who are allowed to serve themselves, are actually slimmer and that the learn to only eat until they are full.

What do you think about these findings?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.MikeC
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Probably true... I was an overweight child and always ate at the table. My daughter, who eats at the table, is trim.
Goth_mom13
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:30 PM

ds cant eat anywhere else,except fridays we watch movies in the living room on fridays

snowflower902
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Yes most of the time unless something is going on or its a special treat that they can eat in their rooms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Meg_
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM

We all eat at the table. 

This theory makes sense, because when people are sitting and watching tv and eating, they do tend to mindlessly eat more than usual. When people are seated around a table and facing each other, thus having conversaions, they tend to eat slower and therefore their bodies recognize the "full" feeling easier. 

taKENheart
by Flovely on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM

When mine were little we ate at the table for all dinners but I served them an ideal servings size.  I didn't restrict 2nd helpings but they rarely asked for any....both stayed thin but I think that has to do with inherited metabolism.  My dd had her father's side type of thighs but she also combat that with her love of salad/veggies and her love of running.
I think you eat slower when you have to carry a conversation so you eat less and feel the fullness before you finish your plate.  Having to talk in between bites is very helpful with how much you end up eating during a meal.

sam12796
by Sandy on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:45 PM

My kids are 5 and 6.5 they will eat at the table with me and Dh as a family. They do not have to eat all that they are given and may excuse themselves when done.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM

We always ate ate the dinner table :)

lesalmi
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Idk about that but yes my kids eat at the table. Bf and I usually stand at the counter. Kitchen is too small for a big table so I have a pub table with three chairs
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM
We always eat at the table as a family.
IandLoveandYou
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense.. adults in our society are SO used to overeating and large portion sizes, that the probably have a skewed idea of how much food the child actually needs.

We always eat at the dinner table unless we are having pizza and a movie night. Growing up we always at ate the dinner table as a family, I can't imagine not :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)