Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you make your children eat at the dinner table?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just reading an article about how kids who consistantly eat dinner at the dining table, and kids who are allowed to serve themselves, are actually slimmer and that the learn to only eat until they are full.

What do you think about these findings?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
icantshowmyface
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM
We all eat dinner together as a family at the table. DS is 5 so he can't exactly make his plates yet. I think even if he were older I'd still make it for him though, I'm old school and like to serve my man/boys
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Breakfast is a free for all but Lunch and dinner are eaten together at the table.
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM

My kids are only allowed to eat at the dinner table and they are all slim. The food is not put on the table so individual plates are made and then brought to the table. Even when we have family dinners at the dining room table we make our plates in the kitchen and then bring them to our seats and eat.

I have probably laid out the food a couple of times at the dining room table and we served ourselves like that but the kids still ate about the same amount as if done how we regularly do it.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM

We love pizza & movie night.

Quoting RheaF:

we eat our meals at the table, unless it is pizza and a movie night.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM

My youngest always takes more than he can eat as well.  If I serve him though, he always wants seconds and then still takes more than he will eat.  My older 2 are good at taking only what they want.

Quoting silverdawn99:

yes i do

we usually eat as a family but i serve them because if they do they end up with more than they would eat

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how we do it too.  The only time I lay out the food on the table is if we have company.

Quoting natural_s:

My kids are only allowed to eat at the dinner table and they are all slim. The food is not put on the table so individual plates are made and then brought to the table. Even when we have family dinners at the dining room table we make our plates in the kitchen and then bring them to our seats and eat.

I have probably laid out the food a couple of times at the dining room table and we served ourselves like that but the kids still ate about the same amount as if done how we regularly do it.

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I believe it. It's easy to eat mindlessly when you're zoned out into the TV.

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I agree, I never was one to allow my children to eat in front of the television or in front of the computer. We eat at the dinner or breakfast table every night, excluding family night. Another thing I noticed about my kids is when I put food on their plates, I usually load them up, but when they put food on their own plates it's about two spoonfuls if that much. Now I allow them to serve themselves. 

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM
We eat at the table. Every once in a while we will get pizza and rent a movie and eat in the living room.
cox3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM
We dont eat at the dinner table. We do plenty of other stuff like camp and run as a family. Sitting at a dinner table is not important to us. We do love to eat out, so we are at a table then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)