Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you make your children eat at the dinner table?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just reading an article about how kids who consistantly eat dinner at the dining table, and kids who are allowed to serve themselves, are actually slimmer and that the learn to only eat until they are full.

What do you think about these findings?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Replies (51-60):
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Breakfast is not at the table. It is more of a free for all to music. Lunch and dinner are done at the table.
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM

i'd say it's anecdotal, i can't imagine there's much research to support it, it seems counterintuitive too, if you're walking around eating all the time, it's mindless, if you have a routine for nourishment, eating is mindful

if the kids walk around eating, the dog follows them, if they sit at the table to eat, it perches on the stairs till they're done

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense.. adults in our society are SO used to overeating and large portion sizes, that the probably have a skewed idea of how much food the child actually needs.

We always eat at the dinner table unless we are having pizza and a movie night. Growing up we always at ate the dinner table as a family, I can't imagine not :).

it makes more sense the other way, though

if you're at the table, you would be more mindful of your portion, there's a plate, servings, etc.

if you're perched on the couch or walking around aimlessly, you're more likely to keep eating until either the show is over or the bag is empty or the food is gone

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Yes. we eat at the table. I grew up in the era of tv trays and tv dinners as a frequent thing so yes we eat in the dining room or kitchen table.
kindheartedmom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM
We always eat at table. If we don't my two year old will not eat
IhartU
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

We don't have a table, so we get our food and go sit in the living room. All of my children are thin but then again, they are active as well. 

LadyJag
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM

We don't have a dining room, but yes, I make my 7-year-old daughter eat all her meals and snacks at the kitchen table. (She eats like Cookie Monster and makes a huge mess!)

BamaSabanFan
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM

We eat at the dinner table now.  When my now husband and his boys moved to my house, they wanted to eat in front of the tv.  That didn't last long.  I think it is important to eat at the table.  It is so nice to talk at the table....find out more detail how their day was.....how did school go.....how did football practice go.  This was a huge adjustment for the boys, but they are use to it now and engage and start conversations.

I also put a stop to NO phones/tablets at the table.  This didn't go over very well, but they are use to it now.  Nothing like trying to have a conversation with someone when they are engrossed in their phone with earbuds in. I got tired of repeating myself when asking questions.  So I talked to my husband about it, and we agreed about having so much technology at the table.

alexsmomma06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM
We eat dinner at the table every single night. We eat breakfast at the table together 3-5 times a week. It is very important to us that we have that time together.
Lilfootmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Nope my sob doesnt eat at the dinner table
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN