Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To stay or go....my daycare dilemma

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son is 3y 4m old and has been going to the same daycare provider since he was 7 wk old. She is a state licensed provider and cares for children in her home. She was also a good friend of mine before she started watching my son and I still consider her to be a friend however we are not as close anymore. She has three children of her own 6, 3 and 5wks. She has been on maternity leave which has just been unexpectedly extended another 5 weeks (for a total of 11)I am lucky to have other resources that have been willing to watch my son during this time, but it is not a permanent option. Due to things said by my provider Before and during maternity leave I have reason to believe that she is burnt out and does not have the tolerance/patience that she used to. I am concerned for the well being of my son but also find this very hard to take him away from someone he is comfortable, familiar with. This provider does have a good program with healthy eating, meaningful activities and field trips. However let me add in another wrench - I will be having my 2nd child (boy) in early April and this provider is to be watching him also starting in June. By June this provider will have 6 children 4 and under. A 4yr old a 3.5 year old a 3 yr old a 2 year old a 5 mos old and an 8wk old. After school add a 5 yr old and another 6 year old to the mix. But the state (what do they know) says this many children to care for is legal. Alternative fulltime daycare is not easy to come by around here. There are no centers around here, everyone watches children out of their homes but reliable affordable ones are even more rare. I would hate to remove my child from this daycare to find out I made the wrong decision or found a worse daycare. Please help with your thoughts .
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just talk with her and ask her if she's getting burnt out. If she is still a friend then you should be able to ask her and be honest with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
antyler
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM
I would hate that you kept him there and she gets overwhelmed with that many children. Especially with the needs that a little baby requires.
Liastele
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

You have 5 more weeks to decide. Why not see if there is another place out there that isn't so overly full? I wouldn't leave a newborn in an over-crowded daycare.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Just ask your friend to be honest.
boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Her maternity leave may be just what she needed... a little break.   I ran a home daycare for many years, including while pregnant with my second child.   It was exhausting towards the end of my pregnancy.      In my State, providers can only have 2 children under the age of 2, which sounds like her situation.    If your son is happy, leave him there.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I would be surprised if your provider returns to full time daycare.  I would not if I was her.

I'd start looking now.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I'd start hunting for somewhere else.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Sounds like she is a little burnt out I would start looking somewhere else and talking to her in the process. Having a in home day care is pretty stressful for someone especially if they have kids of their own. Good luck .

Mrs.MikeC
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM
I agree with the above. Also, have you looked into preschool? It might give her a little break throughout the week if she is getting burned out.
momof3boys14
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
You can be burnt out and still provide quality care. It usually comes in phases then you snap out of it and realize you really do love this job! - signed home daycare provider :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)