Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To NOT put our boys in Football this young, 7 and 5. DH's boss and the salesman where he works are MAD because they're both football coaches and have been begging us to put them in.

They're already in sports from February-October, plus school. I just don't think adding a third sport on top of it all will benefit them at all. We didn't sign them up for basketball for the same reason, it's just there wasn't as much pressure to get them started in that sport. I keep hearing "Colton would make an amazing kicker and Keaton is built like a line backer, their futures will be set if you make them play!" I would never MAKE them play anything, but they kind of want to do football, but when asked which sport they wanted to give up because time is a huge factor, both of them said they would rather not play football than give up soccer or baseball.

What do you say? Do your kids play sports? Our boys have been in soccer since two and picked up baseball last summer.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM
My son is begging to play football this year. We have done soccer in the past but he was four.
MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I am looking forward to it.  I think he is going to enjoy learning something new and being part of a team.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

There will be actual skill training too, but in a fun way. The kids don't even realize they're learning, lol. I love it.

Quoting MandaMom23:

from what i have saw the kids get scattered all over and chase the ball around.  It will be good exercise and entertainment = )

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Watching kids play soccer that young is so much fun! LOL

Quoting MandaMom23:

My son is 4 and will be playing Tball and soccer  this year.  Both of my brothers started playing football at 7 or 8 but I dont think I will get my son into football that young. 

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Did he not like it?

Keaton doesn't really enjoy it, but does it because his brother does, lol. I've let him make the decision every time "Am I signing you up this time or not?" He always says "Yeah."

Quoting KelliansMom: My son is begging to play football this year. We have done soccer in the past but he was four.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It'll be great for him :)

Quoting MandaMom23:

I am looking forward to it.  I think he is going to enjoy learning something new and being part of a team.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

There will be actual skill training too, but in a fun way. The kids don't even realize they're learning, lol. I love it.

Quoting MandaMom23:

from what i have saw the kids get scattered all over and chase the ball around.  It will be good exercise and entertainment = )

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Watching kids play soccer that young is so much fun! LOL

Quoting MandaMom23:

My son is 4 and will be playing Tball and soccer  this year.  Both of my brothers started playing football at 7 or 8 but I dont think I will get my son into football that young. 

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM
He liked it but we didn't like how unorganized the league was. He would like to do soccer again too. But football is what he wants but he is not old enough for tackle yet.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Did he not like it?

Keaton doesn't really enjoy it, but does it because his brother does, lol. I've let him make the decision every time "Am I signing you up this time or not?" He always says "Yeah."

Quoting KelliansMom: My son is begging to play football this year. We have done soccer in the past but he was four.

usmchoney
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM
We are a gymnastics, dance, and cheer family
Kageegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM
My 8 year old is a blue belt in karate and he is in P.E club at school and my 6 year old takes piano lessons. That's about as involved with sports and after school activities as we get. I don't belive in keeping kids super busy with sports and activities. I think they need time with family, time with friends and time to themselves.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Ah, gotcha.

The league here just waits until the week the games start to give the coaches their information so practice can start. But after that, it's fine. I hate the wait though, lol.

Mine would be in tackle if they played, I'm just not up for it.

Quoting KelliansMom: He liked it but we didn't like how unorganized the league was. He would like to do soccer again too. But football is what he wants but he is not old enough for tackle yet.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Did he not like it?

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I have a 1 year old daughter, I'm hoping these things will interest her, lol.

Colton wanted to do gymnastics, but at the time, we just couldn't afford it. He doesn't want to any more.

Quoting usmchoney: We are a gymnastics, dance, and cheer family

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Well, considering they make friends on the teams and our whole family goes to games and practices...they're still getting all of that.

But time is a big reason I said no to adding a third sport.

Quoting Kageegirl: My 8 year old is a blue belt in karate and he is in P.E club at school and my 6 year old takes piano lessons. That's about as involved with sports and after school activities as we get. I don't belive in keeping kids super busy with sports and activities. I think they need time with family, time with friends and time to themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN