Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To NOT put our boys in Football this young, 7 and 5. DH's boss and the salesman where he works are MAD because they're both football coaches and have been begging us to put them in.

They're already in sports from February-October, plus school. I just don't think adding a third sport on top of it all will benefit them at all. We didn't sign them up for basketball for the same reason, it's just there wasn't as much pressure to get them started in that sport. I keep hearing "Colton would make an amazing kicker and Keaton is built like a line backer, their futures will be set if you make them play!" I would never MAKE them play anything, but they kind of want to do football, but when asked which sport they wanted to give up because time is a huge factor, both of them said they would rather not play football than give up soccer or baseball.

What do you say? Do your kids play sports? Our boys have been in soccer since two and picked up baseball last summer.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
usmchoney
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
we started with gymnastics first because my boyfriend wanted to hold off on dancing, but cheer, and gymnastics kind of go hand in hand with dancing. So his holding off didn't last too long. It took him a second to get used to her in a leotard though lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

I have a 1 year old daughter, I'm hoping these things will interest her, lol.

Colton wanted to do gymnastics, but at the time, we just couldn't afford it. He doesn't want to any more.

Quoting usmchoney: We are a gymnastics, dance, and cheer family

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Our issues was mainly the coach, we never got a call about when things started and then when practices did start he was always late and I understand that they are only four but some sort of a structure to practice would have been nice. My husband wants to sign him up for baseball so bad since that's what he played but ours sons interest is so hit or miss with baseball that I don't want to spend the money

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Ah, gotcha.

The league here just waits until the week the games start to give the coaches their information so practice can start. But after that, it's fine. I hate the wait though, lol.

Mine would be in tackle if they played, I'm just not up for it.

Quoting KelliansMom: He liked it but we didn't like how unorganized the league was. He would like to do soccer again too. But football is what he wants but he is not old enough for tackle yet.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Did he not like it?

Keaton doesn't really enjoy it, but does it because his brother does, lol. I've let him make the decision every time "Am I signing you up this time or not?" He always says "Yeah."

Quoting KelliansMom: My son is begging to play football this year. We have done soccer in the past but he was four.

jashley5
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM
My boys played last year of peewee football. They loved it but the people in charge was so unorganized. And we had almost zero parents involvement. I was team mom for 2 teams and it was bad. I feel in love with all the boys but felt sorry for them. So our boys won't play for a team until next year for the school.
TheSilence
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
My son will be 'playing soccer' this summer.
What it really means is a bunch if 2 year olds in a line following the ball.
Though Felix adores 'football' as his paternal family has taught him it's called.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I've been lucky enough to get put with great coaches. Colton had the same coaches from his first season until last season. His new coach is a guy I grew up with (my dad worked for his dad my whole life).

Keaton did have one sucky coach. He was great at communitcation, but wasn't afraid to tell you that he didn't WANT to be there and would just stand on the field during practices.

Colton HATED baseball for the first two games. After that, he got the hang of it and keeps asking when he gets to play again. It doesn't start until June though.

Quoting KelliansMom: Our issues was mainly the coach, we never got a call about when things started and then when practices did start he was always late and I understand that they are only four but some sort of a structure to practice would have been nice. My husband wants to sign him up for baseball so bad since that's what he played but ours sons interest is so hit or miss with baseball that I don't want to spend the money

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Ah, gotcha.

The league here just waits until the week the games start to give the coaches their information so practice can start. But after that, it's fine. I hate the wait though, lol.

Mine would be in tackle if they played, I'm just not up for it.

Quoting KelliansMom: He liked it but we didn't like how unorganized the league was. He would like to do soccer again too. But football is what he wants but he is not old enough for tackle yet.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Did he not like it?

Keaton doesn't really enjoy it, but does it because his brother does, lol. I've let him make the decision every time "Am I signing you up this time or not?" He always says "Yeah."

Quoting KelliansMom: My son is begging to play football this year. We have done soccer in the past but he was four.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM

If I had put them in, they would have been in the school league. They play on the "high school" teams, but there are different age groups for 1st graders all the way up to 8th grade. Then it's Junior Varsity and Varsity for actual HS students.

Quoting jashley5: My boys played last year of peewee football. They loved it but the people in charge was so unorganized. And we had almost zero parents involvement. I was team mom for 2 teams and it was bad. I feel in love with all the boys but felt sorry for them. So our boys won't play for a team until next year for the school.

Kageegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Well having people come watch you play is a little different then say a birthday party or family dinner. Playing on a league with your friends is a little different then say aa sleep over, playing video games together or going to a movie with your friends.

I like the idea that my weekends aren't rushed with getting kids ready for a game or rushing them to practice after school 1 to 3 times a week. My son has karate 1 day a week from 6:30pm to 8pm. My other son has piano lessons 1 day a week from 5:30pm to 6:15pm.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Well, considering they make friends on the teams and our whole family goes to games and practices...they're still getting all of that.

But time is a big reason I said no to adding a third sport.

Quoting Kageegirl: My 8 year old is a blue belt in karate and he is in P.E club at school and my 6 year old takes piano lessons. That's about as involved with sports and after school activities as we get. I don't belive in keeping kids super busy with sports and activities. I think they need time with family, time with friends and time to themselves.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM

They don't allow them to play until 3 here. But it's incredibly cute, lol.

Quoting TheSilence: My son will be 'playing soccer' this summer.
What it really means is a bunch if 2 year olds in a line following the ball.
Though Felix adores 'football' as his paternal family has taught him it's called.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Different strokes for different folks....

But we love it, and we do it for the kids. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't be asking me every day if their coach has called.

Quoting Kageegirl: Well having people come watch you play is a little different then say a birthday party or family dinner. Playing on a league with your friends is a little different then say aa sleep over, playing video games together or going to a movie with your friends.

I like the idea that my weekends aren't rushed with getting kids ready for a game or rushing them to practice after school 1 to 3 times a week. My son has karate 1 day a week from 6:30pm to 8pm. My other son has piano lessons 1 day a week from 5:30pm to 6:15pm.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Well, considering they make friends on the teams and our whole family goes to games and practices...they're still getting all of that.

But time is a big reason I said no to adding a third sport.

Quoting Kageegirl: My 8 year old is a blue belt in karate and he is in P.E club at school and my 6 year old takes piano lessons. That's about as involved with sports and after school activities as we get. I don't belive in keeping kids super busy with sports and activities. I think they need time with family, time with friends and time to themselves.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Lol sounds like my 7 yr old. He does play football and loves it. Also plays baseball, however he wants to play soccer.. But soccer intervenes with both sports. He likes them a little more lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)