Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To NOT put our boys in Football this young, 7 and 5. DH's boss and the salesman where he works are MAD because they're both football coaches and have been begging us to put them in.

They're already in sports from February-October, plus school. I just don't think adding a third sport on top of it all will benefit them at all. We didn't sign them up for basketball for the same reason, it's just there wasn't as much pressure to get them started in that sport. I keep hearing "Colton would make an amazing kicker and Keaton is built like a line backer, their futures will be set if you make them play!" I would never MAKE them play anything, but they kind of want to do football, but when asked which sport they wanted to give up because time is a huge factor, both of them said they would rather not play football than give up soccer or baseball.

What do you say? Do your kids play sports? Our boys have been in soccer since two and picked up baseball last summer.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Yeah. Football would have pretty much squashed one season of soccer. My oldest wasn't having that....lol.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol sounds like my 7 yr old. He does play football and loves it. Also plays baseball, however he wants to play soccer.. But soccer intervenes with both sports. He likes them a little more lol

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Since they both chose other sports,  I'd say the answer is exactly what you have done.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM

They weren't very happy with me making them choose, lol.

Quoting Bmat:

Since they both chose other sports,  I'd say the answer is exactly what you have done.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Lol after i told my guy it would make it so he couldnt play baseball or football all of a sudden soccer was out! Lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Yeah. Football would have pretty much squashed one season of soccer. My oldest wasn't having that....lol.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol sounds like my 7 yr old. He does play football and loves it. Also plays baseball, however he wants to play soccer.. But soccer intervenes with both sports. He likes them a little more lol

TheSilence
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
It is completely adorable.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

They don't allow them to play until 3 here. But it's incredibly cute, lol.

Quoting TheSilence: My son will be 'playing soccer' this summer.
What it really means is a bunch if 2 year olds in a line following the ball.
Though Felix adores 'football' as his paternal family has taught him it's called.

chalisa0
by Kim on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Their futures would be set???  Hahahaha.  Don't fall for that.  The vast majority (and we're talking more than 99%) of kids do not have a future with sports.  You would be much better off focusing on their schooling and making that a priority.  Also, you're right about the time commitment with football-in high school, it is hours a day, on top of the homework and any other commitments they might have.   

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Baseball was out for so long because it took me a ton of research to find a league that wouldn't cut into soccer.

I finally found one...and it's cheaper than the Rec league too. WOot!

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol after i told my guy it would make it so he couldnt play baseball or football all of a sudden soccer was out! Lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Gotta love it when that happens! Baseball is pretty cheap where we are. Only 14$ for the season and that includes a hat and shirt also. Football was pretty spendy but so worth it to see him tackle lol.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Baseball was out for so long because it took me a ton of research to find a league that wouldn't cut into soccer.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol after i told my guy it would make it so he couldnt play baseball or football all of a sudden soccer was out! Lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Obviously. We play for fun. If anything comes of it, fine, if not, fine. If they up and decide they don't want to play any more, cool. LOL

Quoting chalisa0:

Their futures would be set???  Hahahaha.  Don't fall for that.  The vast majority (and we're talking more than 99%) of kids do not have a future with sports.  You would be much better off focusing on their schooling and making that a priority.  Also, you're right about the time commitment with football-in high school, it is hours a day, on top of the homework and any other commitments they might have.   

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Rec is $30. The league they're in is $20. Both come with hat and shirt. But Rec also makes you get the belted ball pants, certain color belt and socks. It gets hard to find all of that stuff close to home, lol.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Gotta love it when that happens! Baseball is pretty cheap where we are. Only 14$ for the season and that includes a hat and shirt also. Football was pretty spendy but so worth it to see him tackle lol.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)