Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To NOT put our boys in Football this young, 7 and 5. DH's boss and the salesman where he works are MAD because they're both football coaches and have been begging us to put them in.

They're already in sports from February-October, plus school. I just don't think adding a third sport on top of it all will benefit them at all. We didn't sign them up for basketball for the same reason, it's just there wasn't as much pressure to get them started in that sport. I keep hearing "Colton would make an amazing kicker and Keaton is built like a line backer, their futures will be set if you make them play!" I would never MAKE them play anything, but they kind of want to do football, but when asked which sport they wanted to give up because time is a huge factor, both of them said they would rather not play football than give up soccer or baseball.

What do you say? Do your kids play sports? Our boys have been in soccer since two and picked up baseball last summer.

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Yea it does lol we had to get all that stuff to. But now we got it and he is good to go for this yr also cuz they all still fit. Except cleats. Gotta get new ones lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Rec is $30. The league they're in is $20. Both come with hat and shirt. But Rec also makes you get the belted ball pants, certain color belt and socks. It gets hard to find all of that stuff close to home, lol.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Gotta love it when that happens! Baseball is pretty cheap where we are. Only 14$ for the season and that includes a hat and shirt also. Football was pretty spendy but so worth it to see him tackle lol.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Baseball was out for so long because it took me a ton of research to find a league that wouldn't cut into soccer.

I finally found one...and it's cheaper than the Rec league too. WOot!

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol after i told my guy it would make it so he couldnt play baseball or football all of a sudden soccer was out! Lol

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Yeah. Football would have pretty much squashed one season of soccer. My oldest wasn't having that....lol.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Lol sounds like my 7 yr old. He does play football and loves it. Also plays baseball, however he wants to play soccer.. But soccer intervenes with both sports. He likes them a little more lol

ABCMomma0211
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
If they said no then tell the giys that.

Im making my daughter chose between three sports. Baseball/basketball/competive cheer.

She only has one. As they are all expensive. And this momma cant afford all three.

She did the tumbling part of competivie cheer, and loved it and did really well, her coach was sad we move and said she was the only one making really good progress out of all the girls.
snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My 7 year old ds loves sports, currently all at the same time he is doing Mixed Martial Arts, Wrestling and Basketball, he loved football and swimming and he liked soccer, he does not like T-Ball (it's too slow for him)  So long as he is the one asking to go to all of this and he's having fun and he is keeping up in school (he is actually so far ahead of his class they talked about skipping him up a grade once but I said no) then I will let my son do all the sports because he truely loves them.  My dd  (9) is just as busy in her own ways, she also takes Mixed Martial Arts, she has girl scouts, and my dd goes to Occupational Therapy and a Special Education Learning Therapy for her dyslexia every week.  Yep it's busy but my kids are happy so we go with it.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

awww, I think kids can get into too much though.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

They weren't very happy with me making them choose, lol.

Quoting Bmat:

Since they both chose other sports,  I'd say the answer is exactly what you have done.

MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband comes from a big football family. He and his brothers all played from the time they could walk practically. His one brother was recruited by some big colleges but chose to play for a small private school instead and is now the head football coach for a high school. They went undefeated this season. It's not just football though. Basketball, baseball, soccer ( which I can't stand) etc. we feel it's important to keep kids busy and out of trouble. This fall will be the first time my oldest ( who will be 7 in July) will play tackle and he can't wait! I'm excited as well!
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM
All 3 of my does basketball, baseball, bowling league, and soccer.
waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, my kids are very busy with basketball and soccer. None of them have any interest in playing football.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter did soccer for awhile. DS 11yo he did his first time in football he liked it.
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:30 AM

If my kids wanted to play a sport then I would let them... Be it Soccer, Baseball, Football, Wrestling, ect... but if it affected there school work or was TOO much for them to handle then it would be gone... and more than 2 sports a yr is too much IMO

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:04 AM

I was in a bowling league before my oldest was born. I'm not great at it, but my best friend needed a partner so I was begged into it. Lol...it was FUN! I was 20.

We don't have one here any more, the bowling alley just burned down. I hoping they open a new one.

Quoting NeonGirl9583: All 3 of my does basketball, baseball, bowling league, and soccer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN