Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My FIL and Guillain Barre Syndrome...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

My FIL was diagnosed in June with G.B.! He had gotten a Flu Vaccine and then got a stomach Virus and 2 days after he went to go get in his truck at 5:30 am to go to work and collapsed in the drive way he was able to drag himself back into the house and into his chair and had to keep texting his wife in the bedroom because he was unable to yell for her... She woke up and came into the living room and Called for help... at first they thought he had, had a stroke... but after tests after test he was diagnosed with Guillian-Barre Syndrome... He was COMPLETELY paralyzed and could only use his eyes to communicate... he then got a Eye infection and is a carrier of a intestinal virus so since I am pregnant I have been unable to go see him.. until after this little lady is born... He has made A LOT of improvements... He can talk, although its slower, gruff and somewhat slurred, He is able to do it!! He can Move his fingers and toes, and is Almost COMPLETELY off the Ventilator!! Well YESTERDAY evening he CALLED ME!!! DH, DS and I got to talk to him for about 10 mins!! It was WONDERFUL!!! He wanted to know when His newest Granddaughter would be here and how we were all doing!! I started crying because I haven't been able to see or talk to him in so long!! It was so wonderful to hear his voice and Hear with my own ears that he is doing better!! In a couple weeks after DD gets here we are going to make plans to go see him and let him meet his Granddaughter!!!

My Only worry is that our 5 yr old DS hasn't been told really that his Papaw is this sick... I don't know how to explain it to him that he can understand... and I don't want him to be scared when he see him hooked up to all the machines they have him on... Any Advice?

I am excited but worried at the same time!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nolongermstkn
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
My cousin had GB from the Marines and is now 100% better.

((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GarrettRIP
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM
I'd tell the kids he's sick
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM

My 12 yr old SD knows he's sick... and I plan on telling our 5 yr old DS but I don't know HOW to explain it to him so he understands and doesn't scare him too much....

Quoting GarrettRIP: I'd tell the kids he's sick

CafeMom Tickers
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM

That is awesome!!! I can only Pray that He gets 100% better but with his age I know it may not be possible... But I would LOVE to be able to see him walk or at least be able to go home!!

Quoting nolongermstkn: My cousin had GB from the Marines and is now 100% better.

((Hugs))

CafeMom Tickers
nolongermstkn
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Ill keep yall in my prayers. Nothing is impossible. After my folks and sons wreck we were told he would never walk, talk, read, ect again. Hes defied all odds. He isnt 100% and never will be, but hes done everything they said he wouldn't.

Quoting indianamom1985:

That is awesome!!! I can only Pray that He gets 100% better but with his age I know it may not be possible... But I would LOVE to be able to see him walk or at least be able to go home!!

Quoting nolongermstkn: My cousin had GB from the Marines and is now 100% better.

((Hugs))

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiem321
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I don't have any advice for your kiddo as I haven't had to do this myself yet. But I also know someone who has fully recovered from this, so I hope your FIL is on the mend and continues to get better daily.

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

He improves EVERY DAY!! I talk to his Wife every day at least once and she keeps me updated!!! She didn't tell me he was gonna call so I would be suprized!! I thought it was her calling until he said HELLO!!! I hope he is able to recover fully also!!!

Quoting maggiem321:

I don't have any advice for your kiddo as I haven't had to do this myself yet. But I also know someone who has fully recovered from this, so I hope your FIL is on the mend and continues to get better daily.

CafeMom Tickers
BoopBettyBoop
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Just tell him what he absolutely needs to know.  His pawpaw is sick and the doctors are helping him get better and the machines are helping him.  If that does it then that is all that needs to be said.  The simpler the better, at 5 they don't necessarily understand but knowing that the doctors are helping him feel better should be what he needs.  Hope that helps.

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Thank you!! I hope thats all that I need to tell him... Hopefully by the time we go to see him he will be off the vent and able to sit up more!!

Quoting BoopBettyBoop:

Just tell him what he absolutely needs to know.  His pawpaw is sick and the doctors are helping him get better and the machines are helping him.  If that does it then that is all that needs to be said.  The simpler the better, at 5 they don't necessarily understand but knowing that the doctors are helping him feel better should be what he needs.  Hope that helps.

CafeMom Tickers
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

DD was 5 when we went to visit MIL at rehab.  When we got to rehab, she had been transferred to the hospital.  We found out she had a stroke.  Seeing her did freak DD out and I took her to the gift shop and cafeteria.  Since he is talking, I think it will be easier to explain.  I had a hard time seeing my grandpa hooked up to machines (cancer) in high school.  Do as much prep as you can and then get him out of there if he freaks out.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)