Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When you were a child were you ever in temporary custody of someone else?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am looking for someone or numerous people who have parents that were not able to care for you or your siblings and a family member stepped up and took care of you. We have custody of our niece. She is a toddler. Both parents are in jail and we live about 20 hours away from them. We just got word that the mother could be serving 3 years in jail. So we will have her for at the very least 3 years. Once the mother gets out she has to get a job, a place to live, and a vehicle, and save up money to pay for the trip to come get her daughter. So my question is those of y'all that were in temporary custody of another family member how was it moving back in with your mom/dad/parents and leaving your previous life. If her mother does come to get her she will have lived with us at least 80% of her life by the time her mom comes. I am hoping she does get to go back with her mom and that her mom straightens up and puts her daughter first but I also don't want this little girl to do great with us and get so far and then her mom get her again and she go downhill. Also she will go from living with my 2 kids to living with no other children not sure if that matters? I have no idea what any of this is like so I am wanting opinions from someone who has been through this. Please don't bash. I'm not thinking about my feelings or the mothers feelings I want what is best for our niece..

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
If you do take her make it the best time of her life because it may very well be!

Quoting Bretnasmommy: Bunp
Lala06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Me and my sisters were placed in foster care because my mom sucks . Honeslty I would want full custody of my niece if that happened or at least visitation 3 yrs is a long time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandH0611
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived more like passed around aka fought over from my aunts and memaw at a young age while my mom was off doing her own thing at college so I'm told. I don't remember it Thank goodness, but I hear all kinds of stories and the only affects it seemed to has is them fighting over who I should live with. So, hopefully she is at a young enough age that it won't leave any emotional scars.
Bretnasmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Quoting Lala06: Me and my sisters were placed in foster care because my mom sucks . Honeslty I would want full custody of my niece if that happened or at least visitation 3 yrs is a long time

We already have her. We have had her for about a month now and just in the past few weeks she has changed so much. For the better. In the beginning she didn't play with toys. Didn't even touch them. She didn't interact with other kids. Didn't smile. And doesn't laugh(still doesn't but she does smile now and that's what she does every morning). I don't want to keep her from her mom but I would also feel guilty giving her back to her mom and her being miserable because she was much happier here.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

When I was around 1 my biological mother decided to give my brother and I up for adoption. She felt she was too young to be a good mother. She was 16 when I was born and 14 when my brother was born. We went to foster care for almost a year then we were adopted. When everything was finalized I was 18 months and my brother just turned 3. Ultimately I am grateful because I have great parents and a great family.

Lala06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Then yes I would go for full custody in three plus years she will be old enough to understand. Her mom gets her shit together sure visitation. You will help.her continue to grow and have a loving family with you. she will be old enough to have a voice kwim?

Quoting Bretnasmommy:
Quoting Lala06: Me and my sisters were placed in foster care because my mom sucks . Honeslty I would want full custody of my niece if that happened or at least visitation 3 yrs is a long time

We already have her. We have had her for about a month now and just in the past few weeks she has changed so much. For the better. In the beginning she didn't play with toys. Didn't even touch them. She didn't interact with other kids. Didn't smile. And doesn't laugh(still doesn't but she does smile now and that's what she does every morning). I don't want to keep her from her mom but I would also feel guilty giving her back to her mom and her being miserable because she was much happier here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bretnasmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM
So has no one gone to live with a family member temporarily and then moved back in with the parent?

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I ended up staying with a family friend for a few months. It wasnt for being taken away from my parents it was a medical emergency that left my parents on the other side of the country.
Sukozu1812
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM
No experience here, sorry.
korra2013
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM
I have given temporary custody of my kids to my mom before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN