Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 4 yr old refuses to potty!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM
  • 2 Replies

Hey everybody forgive me if this question was asked before but I need some advice. My 4 1/2 yr old son is very smart and advanced and I am SO ready for him to go to school. Problem? He refuses to do the #2 in the potty. He would rather wear diapers or go hide in the hallway, closet, etc. to do the #2 in his underwear.

He has had problems moving his bowels completely since birth but his doctors (regular and GI) said for me to put him on fiber gummies (one told me to increase it which I have) but he still won't go. Very rarely will he run to the bathroom and go on his own without me fussing at him. I'll even offer to let him play with his iPod, Nook, or a book. I'll tell him that if he goes I'll give him one of his favorite candies (which I really don't like my kids to eat candy) or snack but not really helping. :-(

Beloved I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health. Just as your soul (mind, will & emotions) already prospers! family in the van

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
withsecond
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm a firm believer that it will happen when he's ready. You can't push it to happen before then, otherwise he'll only regress later. 

Just keep asking him if he wants to try, if not then leave him be. If he does have an accident, have him clean himself up. 

My middle son was really late. He was 4.5 as well and I really didn't think it would ever happen. Then one day, it did and he's been going ever since. It will happen, just when he's ready. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Take it slow,it'll happen!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)