Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

lonely mom of two autistic spectrum teen children that needs someone that understands what we feel

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, I have never been on a chat room, so hopefully I can figure out what to do. Just a little bit of info. so you can get to know me. I have two children at home, one Asperger and one mild to moderate-high functioning Autism. One is 15 and one 13. I live in St. George, Utah where there isn't alot of resources like Calif. I only have one person to talk to, is my older daughter, which is busy with her own children. She really is a good listener but not with an Autistic child and sorry unless you've been there its hard to understand. My husband doesn't try to understand our children at all. Hopefully there is someone to just talk to. Thank you, jmyer.

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
miisha
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I'm here. My son is 10 and autistic.
Jenniy
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM

You might have better luck in the Autism group, I'm in there and there's lots of sweet ladies.  My 8yro has Aspergers.

rochelle00
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:55 AM
I understand ur situation its alot u have to deal with maybe u and her husband need to really talk

Quoting jmyer:

Hi, I have never been on a chat room, so hopefully I can figure out what to do. Just a little bit of info. so you can get to know me. I have two children at home, one Asperger and one mild to moderate-high functioning Autism. One is 15 and one 13. I live in St. George, Utah where there isn't alot of resources like Calif. I only have one person to talk to, is my older daughter, which is busy with her own children. She really is a good listener but not with an Autistic child and sorry unless you've been there its hard to understand. My husband doesn't try to understand our children at all. Hopefully there is someone to just talk to. Thank you, jmyer.

funhappymom
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM

There is a really great group for moms with autistic children. You might want to check it out:

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Welcome! 

I've only been through St. George once or twice, but I love it.  We stopped at ate at a little cafe there where I had the most amazing peanut butter pancakes!  Yum!

Anyway, I have a kiddo on the spectrum as well (my almost 13 year old son), and I agree with the member who suggested that you check out the Autism Support group here.  It's very supportive!

jmyer
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Thank you for your post.

lillettemomma
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I have 2 autistic babies they are young though (2 and 3) but I'm always up for chatting
nerthus
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM

My daughter is autistic, however she is older than your children; my daughter is 26. She also has a genetic defect called Turner Syndrome, is diabetic, has psoriatic arthritis and a spinal disease and had a mild stroke about 8 years ago. She used to function on the emotional level of a 13 year old, academic level of about 5th grade; but since her stroke she's regressed quite a bit to an emotional level of a 5 year old, has lots of tantrums again, etc. She can't work, during the day she stays home with her older brother who works for a nursing agency and is her paid caregiver while I'm at work. I take care of her the rest of the time. She is obsessed with Nickelodeon (the cable tv channel) and will talk for HOURS about when the channel started, who started it, which shows premiered which year, what the studio looked like and what year they closed the Florida studio and moved to NY, ha; she is an expert on Nickelodeon. She also loves and collects penguin stuff and for most of her childhood was obsessed with Care Bears. She will only eat 4 foods at a time (right now it's chicken strips, mac and cheese, tater tots and multigrain waffles!) so getting decent nutrition in her is a chore. She will only wear clothes made of certain materials and they can't be tight on her stomach area at all; she will only wear one type of shoe and if you try to cook onions in the house or if she sees or smells pickles she will  have a major meltdown. She certainly has kept me busy all her life! I have a son older than her and a daughter younger than her; my son as I said is her caregiver and helps me a lot, my youngest lives over 600 miles away and graduated college almost 3 years ago and is an electrical engineer. Their father left when they were all young, the two girls were in prek when he left and he's never had ANYTHING to do with our autistic daughter; the other two he's interacted with much much more. So aside from child support when Marissa was a minor, he's never helped me with her and I never remarried. I teach prek, btw.

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

very supportive group , come join , click on the siggy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN