Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

She is wanting to stay in her room...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM
  • 42 Replies

My 9 yr old DD is wanting to stay in her room and play more. She spent the morning playing with her sister in the barn and about an hour this afternoon playing outside with her friends. Now she wants, to be by herself in her room.

She is getting to where she likes alone time and I know she's just playing games, playing with dolls and playing with her dog. She's a good kid and get's good grades.

I just don't like it. DH says she still active with peers and playing independently is a good sign of imagination but I was an only child who had to play by myself and I hated it.

Am I overreacting?

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes as long as she is still engaged with others let her be.

lillettemomma
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I spent hours alone in my room doing craft projects but i also played outside with the neighborhood I don't think it's any big deal sometimes ppl need alone time even kids
Amybelle
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

YES

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM
3 moms liked this
you hated it because you had no chouce but to play alone. your daughter has choices and one of them, especially as she becomes a tween, will be to spend time alone.
Nysa
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I loved having my alone time. It was really important to me growing up. I think all kids should be able to entertain themselves. It is a good skill to have. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

She spent time being social.  Now it is time for her to decompress from the day and be by herself.  

It is hard for us not to put our feelings growing up onto our children.  My dd is 7 and the only one at home .  Her siblings are all adults now.   I check in with her and she says she is fine playing by herself.

caritas1012
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies. My family made some major changes last year (we moved 5 hours away from where they lived their whole life) and both DDS transtion was so smooth I guess any new behavior is scaring me because I always heard kids reacted bad to moving like we did. I haven't made it a big deal, just letting her be her. I will keep on doing nothing for now and look at it from a positive angle.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It is great that she can play by herself and there is nothing wrong with wanting some time to yourself. I crave it sometimes. 

Brownsugarlips
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Mom to mom, has she ever snuck in the medicine cabinet and snuck drugs? My kid went snooping once and took my ex-husbands cocaine. He was PISSED. 

caritas1012
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Oh no. Thankfully we don't even have any prescriptions in the house. If we did I would've searched her room already

Quoting Brownsugarlips:

Mom to mom, has she ever snuck in the medicine cabinet and snuck drugs? My kid went snooping once and took my ex-husbands cocaine. He was PISSED. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)