Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need help

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 43 Replies
My 20 month old won't listen! He listens to everyone but me and i don't know what I'm doing wrong. Redircting doesn't work timeouts don't work spanking doesn't work no doesn't work. It's at the point that I'm in tears because I am so freaking frustrated with him!

Edit: Thank you ladies for your help. I think his big problem is that he is stuck in one room of the place we are currently staying at, he's also had a problem with daycare when he was stuck in the baby room. We are moving into our own place in the next week so I think that will help a lot.
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KB2311
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Bump
NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
You have been hitting a 20 month old? Maybe you are demonstrating a lack of patience and self control. Not sure what you expect if a toddler anyway. It's your job to keep your child occupied and safe. They aren't suppose to entertain themselves.
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Find activities that will engage him. You will have to do them with him for the most part. If you need to get stuff done do it during nap time or give him to dad to play with for awhile.

KB2311
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Yep I just beat the shit out of him

Quoting NDADanceMom: You have been hitting a 20 month old? Maybe you are demonstrating a lack of patience and self control. Not sure what you expect if a toddler anyway. It's your job to keep your child occupied and safe. They aren't suppose to entertain themselves.
KB2311
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Mom not sure what to expect out of him actually I've never been around a toddle before, I never in my post said once that I expect him to entertain himself and the only reason I've even tried slapping his hands is because family has said the reason he doesn't listen to me is because I do t do it. Guess what that doesn't work either! Now I'm asking for help, give me advise on what you think I should do or don't.

Quoting KB2311: Yep I just beat the shit out of him

Quoting NDADanceMom: You have been hitting a 20 month old? Maybe you are demonstrating a lack of patience and self control. Not sure what you expect if a toddler anyway. It's your job to keep your child occupied and safe. They aren't suppose to entertain themselves.
KB2311
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM
It's not that I need to get stuff done or anything like that it's stuff like "stop touching that" "lay down so we can change you"

Quoting seraphimsong:

Find activities that will engage him. You will have to do them with him for the most part. If you need to get stuff done do it during nap time or give him to dad to play with for awhile.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
In those cases you change the diaper fast and try to entertain him with a song or a game. Hitting him will make changing time something to fear and fight. He should learn to relax and enjoy it. Touching things? Move the items or the baby. Touching things is normal and how they learn. Your baby isn't being disobedient. They don't even know that concept. They are exploring the world, just give them safe things to explore. Hitting a child is never the answer.

Quoting KB2311: It's not that I need to get stuff done or anything like that it's stuff like "stop touching that" "lay down so we can change you"

Quoting seraphimsong:

KB2311
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I swear you just want to hear that I abuse my child, k I won't ask for advise I'll keep beating the crap out of him

Quoting NDADanceMom: In those cases you change the diaper fast and try to entertain him with a song or a game. Hitting him will make changing time something to fear and fight. He should learn to relax and enjoy it. Touching things? Move the items or the baby. Touching things is normal and how they learn. Your baby isn't being disobedient. They don't even know that concept. They are exploring the world, just give them safe things to explore. Hitting a child is never the answer.

Quoting KB2311: It's not that I need to get stuff done or anything like that it's stuff like "stop touching that" "lay down so we can change you"

Quoting seraphimsong:

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

at 20 months he isn't doing these things to upset you. He is learning, exploring his environment. In 20 months you have already used a lot of punishment.  Please do not spank. When he does something you don't want him doing. Get on his level eye to eye. Tell him we don't do that and a simple why we don't. Then redirect. When or if he goes back to repeat the offense you say Didn't mommy say we don't do that ? then redirect. He is young and learning. Be patient.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Change the word hitting to fluffy bunny thumps if it makes you feel better. It's still good advice. I have 4 kids and didn't fluffy bunny thump any of them. They all behave well

Quoting KB2311: I swear you just want to hear that I abuse my child, k I won't ask for advise I'll keep beating the crap out of him

Quoting NDADanceMom: In those cases you change the diaper fast and try to entertain him with a song or a game. Hitting him will make changing time something to fear and fight. He should learn to relax and enjoy it. Touching things? Move the items or the baby. Touching things is normal and how they learn. Your baby isn't being disobedient. They don't even know that concept. They are exploring the world, just give them safe things to explore. Hitting a child is never the answer.

Quoting seraphimsong:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)