Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OK deep south are you really that freaked out?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
  • 126 Replies
1 mom liked this

I get it, its not typical, but you know its normal winter weather right?  I get the impression that the south is freaking out like its the Apocalypse and its just a dusting of snow.  Right now in Minnesota its 23 degrees and I have about a foot of snow in my yard.  I consider it a beautiful winters day.  It has been -40 with the windchill, Monday we had winds of 60mph.  THATS scary winter conditions that cause kids to stay home.  

Im wondering if you are really all that freaked out or its just something new and different to talk about.

Edit.... for those of you suggesting you will laugh when its too hot for us and we are freaking out.....  It gets over 100 degrees in the summer here in minnesota.  With humiditity!  Ive never had an issue driving in it and yes we are prepared for heat.  Even in my 100 year old house I have central air. 

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM
3 moms liked this

I am not there. I am from Mass. But when they have those conditions they are not equipped or used to it. My son lives in KY. his pipes froze. They are having snow & single digit temps. The older houses(not sure about new) aren't built for that kind of weather. People who never get snow cant drive it in because their town/state doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to treat the roads. You live where extreme cold and snow is so you can, just like I can.

Evenstar..
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
4 moms liked this

It's dangerous for people who are not used to it. We live in nc right now, but have lived in Delaware and Germany. The snow was much worse in Germany than it is here right now and we were able to drive in it, but we were used to it and the roads were kept nice most of the time. The roads here today are slushy and slick and that is dangerous for people who are not used to it and don't know how to drive in it. That is why schools are closed.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I live in a small town that does not salt or sand the roads, we dont have fancy equipment.  We are a village of 75 families and could not afford that.  I dont have snow tires.  I dont have chains.  I dont drive a 4 wheel SUV.  I have a regular minivan.  

I manage to drive all over with 3 kids in the car and stay on the roads.  It really doesnt require anything special.

I am not there. I am from Mass. But when they have those conditions they are not equipped or used to it. My son lives in KY. his pipes froze. They are having snow & single digit temps. The older houses(not sure about new) aren't built for that kind of weather. People who never get snow cant drive it in because their town/state doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to treat the roads. You live where extreme cold and snow is so you can, just like I can. 

AromaDrops33
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Well when you live in an area that isn't used to that weather it can be difficult. These areas aren't equipped with sand and salt trucks. I'm from Colorado, so we are used to it.
ABCMomma0211
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

it's a dust of snow, stop freaking out about it. 

an inch of snow melts by the end of the day....most of the time.

and maybe this will teach the south to be prepared...just like irene/sandy will teach the north to be prepared for anything.

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM

We dont have salt and sand trucks in my area either.

Quoting AromaDrops33: Well when you live in an area that isn't used to that weather it can be difficult. These areas aren't equipped with sand and salt trucks. I'm from Colorado, so we are used to it.

destiny2nv
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Well, it's pretty much over now. Yes, the local news channels went crazy yesterday. The city was dead and quite. I love the weather. I wanted to play in the snow with ds, but it didn't stick.
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Im north of Atlanta. Im am just mad that the officals of the state didnt learn from our four inchs of snow three years ago ... But I do have to keep reminding myself that this is the south, my husband and I are not natives of ga and snow and ice has never been an issue for us.

Evenstar..
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Well it's not a contest

mommy20122013ce
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Im in Michigan and its super cold and snowy here. My hubby is in Mississippi for work right now and he says the roads are complete ice! He is used to driving in such conditions but hes even having a hard time due to the extreme amount of ice. The roads werent treated like they are up north. People who arent used to such weather dont know how to drive in it which makes it dangerous for everyone and i think the south just doesnt have the stuff to take care of weather like that properly 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN