Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughters busdriver ran over a dog

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
As I was waiting for the bus to come I saw the old lady across the street let out her huge chocolate lab and thought wow I hope he stays I'm the yard. It's not a super busy road but still..not even 5 minutes later the bus came and dropped my daughter off, I put her in the car and heard a thud. I figured he hit a pothole. Well as soon as I was in the drivers seat facing the road I saw him laying there:( it was horrible. The busdriver had stopped a ways up and yelled that he didn't see the dog then got back in the bus and drove away. Meanwhile I covered the poor pup up with my scarf so the owner wouldn't have to see how disgusting and sad he looked. The person behind the bus stopped and helped me carry the dog to the owners house. Ugh it was so sad and horrible. My poor daughter saw the whole thing and is still talking about it tonight. I'm afraid to even have her go on the bus tomorrow :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BarefootCuntesa
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM
That is so sad! The driver should have stayed. He basically did a hit and run. I would report him to the school district and the police.
tapies2324
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Not sure I'd call it a hit and run...afterall it is an animal, not a person. I hate that the dog got hit but where was the fence..the leash? Shouldn't have been running anout so the owner is at fault..not the driver.

Op...I hope your daughter didnt see too much. Life goes on..drive her tomorrow then let her ride the bus on Monday.
StephanieDpls3
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Not too many people fence their dogs or leash them around here. Sad but true. The dog was 17 years old and apparently always stayed in the yard from what the owner told me. Even if it was just a dog I could never kill something and just leave like that. Though there may be certain laws when your a bus driver. Whole situation is just terrible. I'm so sad about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

This is so sad. I feel sorry for all involved.  The lady for the loss of her dear pet, you and those who witnessed this, including the children. The bus driver probably was not allowed to stop any longer since it would delay her schedule. I wish that she had seen the dog and avoided hitting him.  :( 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:10 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Aww this is sad ;(

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:51 AM
I know a couple bus drivers and here in Washington the bus drivers are not allowed to stop for animals in the road. Because the kids aren't wearing seat belts, if they slam on their breaks for an animal, all the kids can fly out of their seat or hit the seat in front of them, which could all cause damage to the children. It is really sad, though does kind of make sense when you think about it. If you got a call that you had to go to the hospital because your child broke their arm or something when the bus driver slammed on their brakes to avoid a cat, you'd probably be a little irritated and the school district would have to pay for it. He also probably did not stop because he had other children on the bus that he needed to get home.

All around though, it is a sad situation for all involved. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:35 AM
I totally agree. And while it's sad, people, not just bus drivers, hit animals in the road all the time. It happens. Twice I ran over groundhogs, they just ran into my moving car. I called them suicide missions.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I know a couple bus drivers and here in Washington the bus drivers are not allowed to stop for animals in the road. Because the kids aren't wearing seat belts, if they slam on their breaks for an animal, all the kids can fly out of their seat or hit the seat in front of them, which could all cause damage to the children. It is really sad, though does kind of make sense when you think about it. If you got a call that you had to go to the hospital because your child broke their arm or something when the bus driver slammed on their brakes to avoid a cat, you'd probably be a little irritated and the school district would have to pay for it. He also probably did not stop because he had other children on the bus that he needed to get home.

All around though, it is a sad situation for all involved. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karmahappens
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:40 AM

In some states a person who hits a dog has to stay with the animal until the police come (or owner)

If you don't it is considered a hit and run (just as if you hit a mailbox or someones trees)

I would report it to the bus company for sure. What state are you in?

StephanieDpls3
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM
I live in maine. I'm not sure what the laws are here. It's a very very small community. I mean I've never heard I anyone around here that has hit a pet and at least not moved it out of the road. I can't imagine not trying to stop for an animal if you could. I don't see any reason why there isn't seat belts on busses. They travel fast and accidents happen. They should totally install them I believe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)