Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

They told me my baby is too small in size and weight

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM
  • 40 Replies
What ended up happening?did they tell you that it could be because of your placenta not feeding the baby off right?or a small percentage that your baby could have Down syndrome ? I'm so worried I'm 31 weeks and my baby is only 2 pounds and 14oz. They told me she is too small in weight if it is my placenta I will be having her induced or c section to help her outside the womb and I also got steroid shots to help her lungs mature faster .
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:00 AM
IMHO.... Ultrasounds are bot always accurate. They can be off by a pound or more either way.

I was told my oldest was going to be 11 lbs. she was 9 even.

I was told my youngest was going to be about 7.5 lbs.... She was just shy of 9 lbs!

Most cases... The baby is better inside than out! Just make sure you eat healthy & keep an eye on her.

Good luck
Deec218
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Yeah it's just so stressful because they also said her legs and arms are a little smaller then they should've and she said it could be that I'm not so talk myself but I'm just so worried for her

Quoting RADmomma: IMHO.... Ultrasounds are bot always accurate. They can be off by a pound or more either way.

I was told my youngest was going to be about 7.5 lbs.... She was just shy of 9 lbs!

Most cases... The baby is better inside than out! Just make sure you eat healthy & keep an eye on her.

Good luck
RADmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM
When were the arm & leg measurements done? After 23 weeks or so the mincer a ads even less accurate...

If the legs & arms are proportioned I wouldn't worry too much.

They told us both of my girls had DS markers. I stressed & worried.... And both came out fine!!

Quoting Deec218: Yeah it's just so stressful because they also said her legs and arms are a little smaller then they should've and she said it could be that I'm not so talk myself but I'm just so worried for her

Quoting RADmomma: IMHO.... Ultrasounds are bot always accurate. They can be off by a pound or more either way.

Good luck
RADmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I apologize for my typos apparently my phone hates me today
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM
So much of this depends on the experience and skill of the person doing the ultrasound. .
cLanief
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
They can be off. You still have a while to go, pack in all the yummy good stuff ya can and don't stress.. it doesnt help baby. No one ever said anything negative about my kids size inutero and they came out 4 and 5 pounders. They didn't even see with my last that her cored was super tiny till she was born. Good luck :-)
Deec218
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I am 31 weeks ! And yes that's exactly what they told me ! They told me that she is to small ! She only weighs 2 pounds 14 oz and that she had ds factors just because of smaller arms and legs and her small weight . The first tests I had done before al this I passed with flying colors ! I didnt have any chance of Down syndrome and now that they see she's too small they said that I could have a 2% chance that she has ds I know it's not a high percentage but it's very scary and I'm a first time mom which makes it so much scarier .... And I just really wanted to hear from someone who was told the same and they're babies came out just fine ... But I was told if it is my placenta then I would probably have her to give her what she needs since my placenta isn't ... And it get results of ds till 2 weeks and I just went Wednesday /:

Quoting RADmomma: I apologize for my typos apparently my phone hates me today
RADmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok... So are they doing more tests? More ultrasounds to compare her growth?

I would fight to keep her in as long as possible. Failure to thrive is often an excuse for a csection. I am not saying that's the case.... But I can tell you from personal experience that some drs prefer a csection over a regular birth. They get more money, your hospital stay is longer & it's more predictable than a labor inch mother.

My first was a csection... My second a vbac. (Vaginal birth after csection)

I would ask what hey plan to do now... Make sure that you are informed of all options & weigh the risks. This is your baby & your labor/birth.... Make sure you understand!!!

Quoting Deec218: I am 31 weeks ! And yes that's exactly what they told me ! They told me that she is to small ! She only weighs 2 pounds 14 oz and that she had ds factors just because of smaller arms and legs and her small weight . The first tests I had done before al this I passed with flying colors ! I didnt have any chance of Down syndrome and now that they see she's too small they said that I could have a 2% chance that she has ds I know it's not a high percentage but it's very scary and I'm a first time mom which makes it so much scarier .... And I just really wanted to hear from someone who was told the same and they're babies came out just fine ... But I was told if it is my placenta then I would probably have her to give her what she needs since my placenta isn't ... And it get results of ds till 2 weeks and I just went Wednesday /:

Quoting RADmomma: I apologize for my typos apparently my phone hates me today
kadensmomma0708
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Ultrasounds are really off...they said my daughter was going to be 12 pounds and she was hardly 8, and that was the day before she was born!

Deec218
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Thanks I really hope they're just not seeing that she's just a small baby . I was small myself I was born at 8 months and only wheighed 4 pounds and my other sister was born premature at 6 months weighing 2 pounds and my sister was full term and weighed only 5 pounds

Quoting cLanief: They can be off. You still have a while to go, pack in all the yummy good stuff ya can and don't stress.. it doesnt help baby. No one ever said anything negative about my kids size inutero and they came out 4 and 5 pounders. They didn't even see with my last that her cored was super tiny till she was born. Good luck :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)