Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

so dramatic!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok heres the deal..my son thorws everything out of proportion! It seems most of the time hes so full of drama it aggitates me to death. I try real hard to blow it off but sometimes it will just get on my nerves. I know he cant help it and i know i should be suppotive but come on! Hes continually having meltdowns over nothing! How many of you moms deal with this on a daily bases? And what do you do to deal with it?
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kadensmomma0708
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:24 PM

What do you mean by he cannot help it?  Is he special needs?  Or just really young?  My son is two and very rarely has meltdowns.  I try not to let it get to that point.  What causes his meltdowns? 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM
How old is he? My son is almost 6 nown but has been super dramatic his whole life. It is just his personality. We have been consistent in punishments and rewards and he went to a special preschool for a couple years and this has all helped him to learn to control his emotions before he gets out of control. We went from several meltdowns a day to one or two a week and those usually happen when he is hungry or tired. Just be consistent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

How old is your son?  What does he say about his behaviour when you talk to him about it?  Have you talked to his doctor about it?

Soonermom41
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Yes he has aspergers..he is 11 but has a mentality of a 7 year old

Quoting kadensmomma0708:

What do you mean by he cannot help it?  Is he special needs?  Or just really young?  My son is two and very rarely has meltdowns.  I try not to let it get to that point.  What causes his meltdowns? 

Soonermom41
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Hes 11 with aspergers

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: How old is he? My son is almost 6 nown but has been super dramatic his whole life. It is just his personality. We have been consistent in punishments and rewards and he went to a special preschool for a couple years and this has all helped him to learn to control his emotions before he gets out of control. We went from several meltdowns a day to one or two a week and those usually happen when he is hungry or tired. Just be consistent.
Soonermom41
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Hes 11 but cant control his behavoir since he suffers from aspergrs

Quoting amonkeymom:

How old is your son?  What does he say about his behaviour when you talk to him about it?  Have you talked to his doctor about it?

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Gotcha!  Does he see a therapist or is he in any therapies for this?  

My son also has high functioning autism and sometimes has these same types of behaviors.  I spend a lot of time talking with his teachers and dealing with meltdowns at home especially over homework.  He's almost 13.

You might also want to check out the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group here.  I've gotten a lot of support there.

Quoting Soonermom41: Hes 11 but cant control his behavoir since he suffers from aspergrs

Quoting amonkeymom:

kadensmomma0708
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Oh okay, I wish I had some real advice to offer you, but I dont.  Just remember you are a great mom and doing everything you can.  Is there a way you can distract him or devert his attention somewhere else?

Quoting Soonermom41: Yes he has aspergers..he is 11 but has a mentality of a 7 year old

Quoting kadensmomma0708:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)