Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Home School Vs. Public School

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM
  • 205 Replies
2 moms liked this

Which do you think gives kids a better start and better education?

I would like to home school my son, and I went to public school myself so I know all about public schools. I know some of the pros and cons for both, but I would like to hear some of your opinions.

**Let me rephrase - I do not know all about every public school out there (obviously) but I do know about the one here, because it is the same school system I went through and graduated from. 

**another edit**

I am just looking for your personal experiences with both, not neccisarily an answer to my question.  I like to learn about things through other people, so I would love to hear your stories about your homeschooled children, and stories about your local public schools or private schools.

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aj23
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM
9 moms liked this

There's too many factors to be able to say one is any better than the other. There are some great public schools and some very bad home schooling parents and there are some awful schools and kids that will do their best in a home school environment. It all varies depending on the family and the school system and what works best for the kids.

PinkDino
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:02 AM

I know there are a lot of variables.  I guess I am just looking for other peoples' experiences with the two more than 'which one is better'.

Quoting aj23:

There's too many factors to be able to say one is any better than the other. There are some great public schools and some very bad home schooling parents and there are some awful schools and kids that will do their best in a home school environment. It all varies depending on the family and the school system and what works best for the kids.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally DD is flourishing better in her public school than she ever could at home.   Her teacher sends home additional work if we ask or on days when she does not go to school due to being sick, I email teacher to find out that day's lessons so we can do something similar at home.  One time when she was sick, her at home goal was to watch a video about penguins and then I had her write 3 things she learned that were new.

CarlyEliz
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I was homeschooled about half of my school years and half in public school.... I plan on homeschooling my son.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM
4 moms liked this
For my family, homeschooling is the best option.
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM
5 moms liked this

There are so many things to consider.  And I'm not against homeschooling by any means.  In fact, I greatly respect the right and choice of a parent to homeschool and I would fight to keep it that way (and I'm a public school teacher!).  I would just caution you in your thinking that you went to public school and so you "know all about it."  Public schools vary SO greatly from state to state, county to county and even in sometimes within the same city.  Like we live in a place known for its phenomenal public schools.  Where I live, sending your kid to private school would be a silly choice and waste of money, in my opinion.  But if I lived in certain other parts of the country, I'd definitely consider private or homeschooling because the public ones are so abysmal. 

I think your decision should be based more on your own kid(s)' needs and what the public schools are like near you as opposed to the differences between the two in general, if that makes sense.  While I believe that homeschooling is the best choice for certain kids and certain families, my general opinion is that traditional schooling is best for the majority.  Just my two cents.

PinkDino
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I know all about OUR local school.  We live in the same town I went to school in. lol

But I understand what you are saying here, and I appreciate the advice thank you.  :)

Quoting Kmary:

There are so many things to consider.  And I'm not against homeschooling by any means.  In fact, I greatly respect the right and choice of a parent to homeschool and I would fight to keep it that way (and I'm a public school teacher!).  I would just caution you in your thinking that you went to public school and so you "know all about it."  Public schools vary SO greatly from state to state, county to county and even in sometimes within the same city.  Like we live in a place known for its phenomenal public schools.  Where I live, sending your kid to private school would be a silly choice and waste of money, in my opinion.  But if I lived in certain other parts of the country, I'd definitely consider private or homeschooling because the public ones are so abysmal. 

I think your decision should be based more on your own kid(s)' needs and what the public schools are like near you as opposed to the differences between the two in general, if that makes sense.  While I believe that homeschooling is the best choice for certain kids and certain families, my general opinion is that traditional schooling is best for the majority.  Just my two cents.

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

My siblings and I were homeschooled for years and then went to public school. For myself homeschooling was way better for me! For my sister public ended up being better for her. I'm homeschooling my 5 year old right now for kindergarten and it's really for the best for her. She went to pre-k at the school and had an awful experience and hated going the entire year (she had been super excited for school too). I was back and forth on homeschooling for this year but when I found out which teacher she was going to be getting I knew for sure that I would homeschool. It was a teacher that had spent last year telling half the parents of the kids in her class that they have ADD or ADHD because of having the usual 5 year old wiggles (this school only has 1 recess for kindergarten which is 20 minutes or 30 minutes but they have to also eat lunch during that same time and it is an all day kindergarten). I had also passed her class every afternoon when picking up my daughter from pre-k and I had a few times when I heard her talking down to the kids in a rude way. I knew my daughter would dread school again. I think kindergarten and 1st grade are really crucial grades. If they don't enjoy school they won't enjoy learning and they won't enjoy learning how to read and write and spell which is huge for me. Another huge deal breaker for me is they way they teach reading in public school (at least the one here). They basically just teach the kids to memorize instead of learning how to sound out, spell, and de-code the words. It seems like half the English language is now considered sight words. And parents of 1st graders here are finding out that their kids still only know one sound for each letter! And letter blends (phonograms with more than one letter)...forget it! I don't know when they're supposed to learn those or if they are just expected to memorize any words that have those in them. Anyways, I found an amazing curriculum for teaching my daughter how to read without any sight words. They have high frequency words but they teach the kids to de-code them and sound them out and then have them read/play games with them to help them become fluent with those words. I have no idea where the average public school kindergartens are at but the ones here are still reading simple words and are reading short few page readers that have 2-3 words on a page but my daughter, while not reading chapter books, has been reading me stories that have 1 to 3 sentences on each page and are longer (tonight's had 32 pages). She also knows many word blends and can spell a whole slew of words and figure out many more from the spelling rules she's been taught so far. That's not to say that my daughter is better at reading than others her age but to illustrate how effective the different approach has been with her. So for her and for my family so far homeschooling is much better. At the same time I do know families who would say that homeschooling would not be good for their child or for their family. It really is a very personal choice and decision. :-)

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think there is an answer here. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to what gives a better education; what gives a better "start".

For me and mine, it's private or homeschool. My eldest homeschooled for several years, and now attends a private school for bright/gifted dyslexics. My middle son is homeschooled... and my youngest will homeschool as well, when he's school age.

When choosing between private and home, we prefer a case by case basis. Right now, our only requirement for a private school is that it isn't aligned to common core (our dd's private school is not aligning, even though our public schools are).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Except that some parents choose private school for reasons other than academic. If we didn't homeschool, we would utilize Catholic school, because we're Catholic and prefer a faith integrated education; it wouldn't matter how great our public schools are, academically.

Quoting Kmary:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN