Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your child doesn't like what you make for dinner... ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you make them a separate meal?

Why/why not?

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
ThisLife16309
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM

If I make something knowing they may not like it or I know they really do not like Yes I will make something diffrent for them

FelineTopic
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
My child will eat what I make for a meal or she won't eat. She gets hungry later, I will microwave the plate she didn't want earlier. I am not a short order cook and my kitchen isn't Village Inn....

And no, I will not make anything just for her, if what I am making happens to to be something she doesn't like. We all will eat the same thing or do without...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
we-r-up-to-4
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I did when my oldest was little. All that got me was a headache. When he was 5 we decided it was enough. We now have a 7 year old (ds) Along with a 4 year old and a 19 month old. I'm pregnant with baby number 4. Our rule now is eat what is cooked or don't eat. There have been nights where I have gone to bed hungry because I was having an aversion to what was cooked. We all sit together at the table even if we choose not to eat so the kids can't choose to play instead of eat. That was the main reason in the past that the kids didn't eat... now they don't have that option and now they rarely go to bed hungry.
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM

it depends on what it is. I am not a fan of forcing food on kids. especially food they don't like because I know as an adult I wouldn't like that done to me. I can tell if my kids genuinely don't like something or if they are just being picky. if its something spicy or something I know they don't like, I will make a separate meal. if its just them being picky, they get that or nothing else.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Nope. If they don't like it, they eat it anyways. My kids are.generally good eaters. Except my 7yr old. He has a hard time with certain meats. He is getting better tho and that is all that matters.
gowings42
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

The other option is a pb&j and and apple or pear or veggies

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I'm not raising rude picky eaters. There is no turning up your nose or whining about perfectly good food in my house. I make what I make and they are required to take three bites of everything if they want to leave the table at all that night, after that they don't have to eat any more but there is nothing until the next meal unless they have eaten a decent portion and they do have to stay at the table until everyone is done eating. And if theres any whining about it or comments about the food, there are consequences. They are allowed to not like it, but saying "ewww" is unecessary and not allowed. We don't throw away food so if they get hungry later before the next meal, I can reheat their last meal.

abecee
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Mine are capable of making themselves a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grabbing some fresh fruit, and/or some yogurt.  I do not make food a battle in my house and I never make them go hungry.

toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
I used to make my son a sandwich if he didn't want what we were eating because he has some issues with textures, but last year I stopped doing that. I was worried about his iron levels so now I insist that he eat some of what I prepare. I try to make something that I know he will eat with our meals. He loves broccoli so we eat a lot of that, lol.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM

No, I don't fix extra meals because someone doesn't like something. Now, if they try it and honestly don't like it, I won't make them go hungry, but they're getting a sandwich, I'm not cooking something else. If it's something that they have no reason not to like, or have liked previously, I'm not fixing something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)