Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your child doesn't like what you make for dinner... ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you make them a separate meal?

Why/why not?

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Replies (51-60):
twinners.mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM
They have to at least try whatever the meal is. If they really don't like it I will make them a peanut butter sandwich or some toast to have with the other parts of their dinner. We always have fruit and another side with dinner. I don't see why they shouldn't eat just because they don't like a certain food.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM

no I don't because i have no desire to make 6 different meals ... just not going to happen. I don't force them to eat it but it is their only option.. they can either eat it or not.

PinkDino
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

No. if he is hungry he will eat what I made.  he isn't going to starve, and usually he doesn't put up much fight when it's been 3 hours and he still hasn't eaten.  I just re-heat his food for him and he will sit down and eat it.

flywifey86
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I refuse to cook a separate dinner. I do try to incorporate something my sons like though.
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM

If it's something that they truly don't like, then I will make them something else. If they just don't want to eat, they can have a peanut butter sandwich.

Katt709
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Nope. The rule is you eat what's offered or don't eat until the next scheduled meal or snack time. I will not tolerate picky eating.
SissySmurf
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I don't make a separate meal for my three year old son (picky eater!) but we don't have the rule eat what is served or go hungry, either.

We keep it light and easy - sometimes we'll ask him what he'd like for supper. We can't, however, do that nightly because it'd be the same thing. "Hotdogs."  But I know what he likes which is generally what we like also so it's okay. Like one night we may eat spaghetti, veggies, and garlic bread. He doesn't like bread. I know that, he knows that, his daddy knows that. So he gets spaghetti and veggies on his plate -both he'll eat without a problem.  

cbhs_teacher
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

They have to at least try 5 bites. Usually by then, it's been decided that they do in fact like it.

treeswallow
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM
If they don't like what I make, I do what my grandmother used to do with me-tell them they can have a bowl of cereal or go hungry. I am not going to make three different meals. I am not a restaurant
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM
My son usually eats what i make. If not he has snacks but not a whole new meal. It's just me and him so i buy what he likes.

His cousin is staying tonight and the first thing she said when i served her was put it in the fridge i want fries and soda. SO told me to make her something she will eat and i said no i don't want DS to think that was okay. 20 minutes later she started eating it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)