Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your child doesn't like what you make for dinner... ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you make them a separate meal?

Why/why not?

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Replies (81-90):
luvnature
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM

I always have made at least 2 different things when making a meal. Dd doesn't eat red meat, so when making red meat, I always make something else so she eats something. Dh doesn't eat spaghetti and when making it, I make another dish just for him. Ds doesn't eat corn (it makes him nauseous because someone forced him to eat corn when that person knew very well he didn't like corn. since that day, the smell of corn makes him gag), so when making corn (always making it outside so my ds doesn't get sick), I will make something else for him. 

And if they just don't feel like eating whatever I made, they can go in the freezer and make themselves a tv dinner.  

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM

no because ain't nobody got time for that

emelymac
by Emely on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I've never actually had this problem in my 13 years as a parent. The kids have always liked what we make. But, if they didn't? No, I'm not a short order cook. Everyone eats whatever is cooked. 

momofthem311
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM
We rarely eat together anyway so I make the kids something they like and sometimes my husband will eat with them and sometimes with me. We are not always hungry when it's time for the kids to eat.
I was cooking a big meal and were all eating together there for a while and it was nice but when we got busier with different things, work-gymnastics-basketball-school stuff, that stopped. Once in a while we will eat together now.
Cherish77
by Cherish on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

No, because I am not a short order cook.

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Nope, they eat what I make or it's nothing until breakfast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Actually I do occasionally. Hubby and I like spicy food, and I can't make her eat that. Otherwise, she eats what we eat. Or leaves it and goes w/o dessert.

Taylorzoe
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM
It depends on the age ill make something different for my 1 year old I'd he won't eat but between 3-5 I will expect him to eat whats served. I'm new in child raising territory but I'm hoping it works.
andersongirl562
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM

No I dont make them something different because I am not a short order cook. Also because it disrespectful and rude for them to expect me to do so. You wouldnt go to someone else's home and expect them to cook you something different would you? We also dont allow snacks in between meals if you didnt eat your meal.

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM

We like to try new recipes.  The girls (ages 10 and 6) actually help me make my menu plan.  We get on Pinterest and go to town!  If I make something new, and they turn their noses up, they have to do 2 "try me" bites.  By doing that, we've discovered they actually like it!  There has only been a couple of things they didn't care for.  In that case, they can make themselves a pb&j to go with their side dishes.  

Make another meal?  Nope.  I'm not going to make some chicken dish and a cheeseburger, if they don't want the chicken.  And if they don't want my dinner, they won't get a snack.  Their plate will be in the fridge, if they get hungry.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)