Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Stool problems

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
All who can help:

My one month old daughter is having issues with not being able to consistently pass stool. As a result, she will not finish a bottle due to being so fussy & fidgety. I am giving her mainly breast milk & am supplementing some formula (Simelac Soy). I have to manually stimulate her in order to get her to pass stool at least 2-3 days of the week. Anyone else have this problem with their child? I would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions. This is my first child.
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM

you force her too poop everyday?  how the hell do you do that and why?  they can go a few days without pooping you know

Elfritchley
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I was under the impression they go at least several times a day...my pediatrician thinks so too & she had 5 children herself. She's the one that told my husband & I to manually stimulate her when needed with a q-tip tip, & it works...it gets her to release most if not all of what is clogged up in her so that she is once again calm & will drink her bottles. Like I said, this is my first child - all of these experiences are very new to me.
funhappymom
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Why are you supplementing with formula? It's very possible that is what is causing the issues.

An exclusively breastfed baby can go days without a bm. My youngest went almost a week without one. It's very normal as they digest so much of the nutrients in breastmilk that there isn't much waste.

I would personally stop forcing her to have a bm as it will cause issues down the road with her going. I would also stop using formula and feed her straight from the tap.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Mine can go several times a day.  Shes about 2 months old.  Sometimes she can go a few days.  I dont really worry about it.  I am on baby #4 and have never heard of stimulating a poop on a new born.  Ive heard of older babies having issues but not a newborn.  Id leave that alone and possibly test out a new pediatrician to get another opinion.  Im not saying you have to switch but since this is your first you may want to shop around a bit.  

I agree with the other mom that posted about doing more breast milk than formula.  If you can its much easier on their systems.  

Quoting Elfritchley: I was under the impression they go at least several times a day...my pediatrician thinks so too & she had 5 children herself. She's the one that told my husband & I to manually stimulate her when needed with a q-tip tip, & it works...it gets her to release most if not all of what is clogged up in her so that she is once again calm & will drink her bottles. Like I said, this is my first child - all of these experiences are very new to me.

Elfritchley
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM
The only problem is that I'm not producing enough breast milk to keep up with what she needs to eat & it is really starting to get me down & stress me out - that is why I started supplementing with formula. I have been using Similac Soy, but am wondering if there is a formula better for her system? If so, what is it?
gregheather
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Is there a reason she is on soy formula? Read up on soy and hormones and you will switch. Have you tried fenugeek, mother's milk tea and/or lactation cookies to up your supply? Otherwise go with a good organic dairy formula - do not stimulate your child unless necessary - it can do more harm than good.

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If the introduction of formula is relatively new, that could be what it is. It isn't necessarily the brand of formula, but just the formula itself. I had to start supplementing around that age as well and had the same result. However, just because she is grunting and straining does not mean she is constipated. Babies that young will act like they are pushing a watermelon out of a straw even if it is soft. Also, introducing formula will make her bowel movement pattern change. My daughter went from a BM more than twice a day to once every other day. 

Elfritchley
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I had heard that soy was good for acid reflux. Plus, I was instructed to stay away from dairy if I'm giving get breast milk due to the acid reflux. I need help & good advice! I am getting so stressed out & feel like I am failing as a mom!! It's really upsetting me.
Elfritchley
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM
She also gets so fussy when she is straining & grunting which makes me think she is plugged up & can't poop.
gregheather
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Soy is not good for acid reflux. The straining is normal - they do make dairy formula for reflux babies that is gentler and easier to digest. I would look at that first. Breast milk is closer to dairy than soy is and the difference could be also causing issues.

But I would look at ways to get your supply up so that formula won't be an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN