Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

has anyone ever reported a mechanic because of the state inspection?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

This past weekend I took my car over to Merchants tire and auto because I couldn't get my car into my normal mechanic and the sticker was about to expire.  I told them up front i thought my brake pads needed to be replaced, Asked them to check the coolant because the light had come on and that I need the inspection. I had also told them that the radiator had been replaced at the beginning of the month so there really should have been enough coolant there. oh, and I asked for an oil change. I also needed the light bulb changed for my right front turn signal but I forgot to mention that. 

So I get a call Saturday that my car was ready and it passed. I was surprised but thrilled. But then I drove my car and realized the light was still out and my brakes did not feel right to me.  I am dropping my car off at my normal mechanic on Wednesday to have them check the brakes and then I will go from there. But I feel like I should report this place.

I did call them and told they missed the light bulb and asked if I brought it back if there would be a charge since this was their mistake. The guy started arguing with me until I mentioned the brakes then he was very agreeable. But I just hung up becaue I don't want them touching my car I will gladly pay my mechanic to replace the bulb. I will not be going back to the other place.

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charley427
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM
What state are you in and what year is the car?
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I'm in Virginia and it is a 2002.

Quoting Charley427: What state are you in and what year is the car?

Charley427
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Well here in NY vehicles go on a machine and would never have passed with out the light. The brakes maybe if they are still decent but not brand new. However yhe brakes part and light part are done manually I believe and the rest is on the machine. Sounds like they wrre rushing to get cars out.
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

that's what I was thinking.

Quoting Charley427: Well here in NY vehicles go on a machine and would never have passed with out the light. The brakes maybe if they are still decent but not brand new. However yhe brakes part and light part are done manually I believe and the rest is on the machine. Sounds like they wrre rushing to get cars out.

caligirl7613
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM
what is this inspection you speak of??? ive never heard of it.....we dont have that here. anyway, check your reciept and be sure they didnt charge you for the brakes and then not fix them. places will do that if they think they can get away with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM

No but I have reported one to the AAA and had their certification removed. 

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Just the state inspection. We are supposed to have it done every year to make sure the car is road worthy. They definitely did not charge me for the brakes.   But I feel like they barely looked at the car and then sent me on my way.

Quoting caligirl7613: what is this inspection you speak of??? ive never heard of it.....we dont have that here. anyway, check your reciept and be sure they didnt charge you for the brakes and then not fix them. places will do that if they think they can get away with it.

lazycamper
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Did they charge you for the stuff?
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM

really, wow. I have never done this before but I just feel like they should have spotted these things. I would hate for a car to be passed that was not really safe to be on the roads and something happen.

Quoting onethentwins:

No but I have reported one to the AAA and had their certification removed. 

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Quoting lazycamper: Did they charge you for the stuff?

They only charged me for the oil change and the state inspection.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)