Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is there anything you used to do before kids that you wish you could do now?

Posted by   + Show Post

Before I had kids, my life was emptier in many ways but I also had a lot more fun, lol. The main thing I miss from my pre-kid life, though, is my freedom - the freedom to get up and go to the mall just because I want to go browsing without having to load up the car, drag them along, and tell them "No" 900 times as we go through the mall looking at things. I also miss being able to sleep in!

So what about you? What did you used to do before you became a mom that you wish you could still do now?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Replies (31-40):
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:57 AM

What do I miss?

1. Sleeping in! That's a definite.

2. Frivolous spending on things I want instead of being frugal and making sure they have everything they need.

3. Being able to get all my laundry done in a couple hours.

4. I miss dating with my husband. lol, I mean, we still go on dates, but they're all planned out and budgeted for. Before we had so much spontaneity.

5. I miss being able to use the bathroom without interruption.

But I love being a mom and I wouldn't trade it!

funny_girl3
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM

I miss being able to be lazy.  Before kids I could take a nap whenever I wanted, or binge-read a book series in a weekend. 

mommymix0820
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM

reading a good book in the tub :)

Avajay2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I miss the lack of responsibility and feeling like I could change the things I don't like in my life.  I feel stuck!

tiarra7022
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:28 AM

The weekends! I used to work my butt off all week and knew I had the week end to just relax and not do anything and now I have a million things to do. Also using the bathroom. Now its like a party in there everytime!

brandie1470
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Sleep longer than a few hours. He is 2 months old and I'm hoping he starts sleeping soon
mommabear1038
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Neither is my ds.how old is yours??
Before I became a mom...I was under the assumption that once babies began to sleep thru the night that it was permanent. I had my first son and all went well. Then I had my 2nd son and he is 2 and still wakes up.not hungry (like a baby) but he just wants to co sleep.i had never known about children having any sleep issues....ppffttt :/

Quoting shoot4thestars:

I miss just being able to flop on the couch after I get home from work and crash for an hour or so.  And sleeping in to, I'm really missing that!  Or just sleep in general, DS still isn't sleeping through the night most nights. 

Jujubee12
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:22 AM

oh god we were just talking about this. We went to the train station to go to the superbowl parade and when our toddler started crying and we realized it just wasnt a good idea.

I miss being in a band, leaving the house and doing whatever i want whenever i want, doing roller derby, having sex whenever i want, decorating however i want, i miss drawing without someone trying to take my paper or pencil/tablet pen, having alone time in general

I have a toddler who has a reflux issue so hes still ebf and because of that i have to be with him all day and i have to be a nanny to make ends meet (which i hate so much, i hate that job) and i never get more than an hour at a time without being crawled on. i need a break lol. 

jett286
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Money!  I miss having money to spend on stupid ass stuff.  Now I understand why my mom dressed the way she did when we were kids.  I always put myself last..I do see the light at the end of the tunnel as I have a freshman in college and a jr in high school..but man do they take every spare dime I have...literally...If I have a spare couple of bucks in my wallet it's gone befor I can even buy myself a cup of jo!  Good thing I LOVE them to pieces...  :)

mommabear1038
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Yeah u pretty much nailed it on the head for me.... 1-sleep (as I just commented to someone else, before I was a mom I was under the assumption that once a baby started sleeping thru the night that it was permanent. I had my 1st son and all went well.then I had my 2nd son.he is 2 and still doesnt sleep thru the night. ) and #2- the freedom to get up and go. Omg u really hit home when u said "not having to yell at them "no" 900 times in the mall." --that combined with it just being never ending. Literally. My 4 yr old doesnt nap and my 2 yr old doesnt sleep thru the night . It is literally just not stop chaos. And we have a ghetto ass downstairs neighbor who hates the sound of kids playing...she even called the cops on them once!!!! She has a fit at ridiculous times like 10, 11am that shes trying to sleep!!!! So not only are my kids non stop, and if we leave I say no 900 times, but at home they cant burn off enough energy.its always "quiet down" "stop running" "sorry u two cant wrestle" its horseshit!!! So im looking forward to when we live on the 1st floor again and/or when they are a little older to where they arent go go go 24/7!!!!!

Quoting iluv2read:

Before I had kids, my life was emptier in many ways but I also had a lot more fun, lol. The main thing I miss from my pre-kid life, though, is my freedom - the freedom to get up and go to the mall just because I want to go browsing without having to load up the car, drag them along, and tell them "No" 900 times as we go through the mall looking at things. I also miss being able to sleep in!

So what about you? What did you used to do before you became a mom that you wish you could still do now?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)