Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Clothes and toys: new or used?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: I am a...

Options:

buy-everything-new kind of mama!

a reduce-reuse-recycle kind of mama!

take-what-I-can-get mama!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

Are you the kind of mama that only buys new clothes and toys for your kids? Or, are you the kind of mama that takes pride in second-hand thrift shopping for clothes and toys for your kids? Maybe you don't shop at all and go the hand-me-downs route? What is your typical approach to clothing and getting toys for your kids?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

all three really

if there aren't any second hands that fit, then i buy new, if something is available, then by all means, pride goeth before a fall

waytomanykids10
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

My kids wear a lot of hand-me-downs, they have older cousins that give them clothes all the time. If we can't get clothes from family then I buy new.

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

All.  I like shopping thrifty and my mom gets a pile of hand me downs from a lady at work every few months.  She tells my mom to tell me thank you that she doesn't have to drag them to Goodwill.  I told my mom to make sure to tell her I'm grateful!  And I do like to splurge sometimes on brand new stuff!

maryhen
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM

My kids get lots of new clothes and toys because they are the only grandkids so my parents go crazy and get them lots of things all the time, same with their dad. I barely buy them clothes nowadays, and toys well, Ive used the ebay route at times but a long time ago when they were babies and I didnĀ“t have anything and no contact with my family I took the thrift shop/ hand me down route.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM
It doesn't matter to me. We!l as long as its not raggedy,hand-me downs are ok.
trainlady
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:13 AM
I did a little of both. I would sometimes do thrift shopping so I could have enough money to get something really nice for a holiday like a new Easter dress or something like that. We buy used cars, why not used toys, provided they are as good as new. Most of the time kids under the age of 10 really don't know or care as long as its new to them I'd rather get a used toy or clothes and use the money I saved to buy healthy food or take care of something medical that was needed at the time. And it doesn't hurt to buy used and put the difference in a piggy bank. I have an older gentleman friend that buys his clothes at Goodwill. He comes here with brand new shoes he got for $3 dollars. He came over the other day with a beautiful winter coat that was brand new and he only paid $7 for it. My sister bought her son the exact same coat at Sears and paid $70 for it. Many times companies give new clothes to Goodwill because the season is over or some such thing and you get stuff brand new with stickers still on them for a tenth of the store price. I see it everyday. So why not take advantage of it. The old stereo type of people wearing rags that they got from the thrift store is long time over. Nowadays you can get some awesom stuff second hand.
tscblu
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I do.what I can for my kids used or new

Quoting Einworb:

Are you the kind of mama that only buys new clothes and toys for your kids? Or, are you the kind of mama that takes pride in second-hand thrift shopping for clothes and toys for your kids? Maybe you don't shop at all and go the hand-me-downs route? What is your typical approach to clothing and getting toys for your kids?

hernandez122902
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Quoting waytomanykids10:

My kids wear a lot of hand-me-downs, they have older cousins that give them clothes all the time. If we can't get clothes from family then I buy new.

This except my oldest cause she is the oldest of all the cousins. But she does get hand-me-downs from her aunts they are like 2-7 years older then her.

singlemotherof8
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I don't mind going to thrift stores. I have found several beautiful dresses for my granddaughter there. In fact i enjoy going to as many as i can sometimes and taking my sister with me.She doesn't have a car so has to walk every where. It's to cold to walk to far right now.

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Safety first--carseats NEW no matter what. 

Toys--new or from family/friends

Clothes--anything goes (it can be washed in hot water before wearing).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN