Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler bed issues

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 19yo just started climbing out of his crib so we moved him to a toddler bed just a few days ago. At night he seems tired enough to go down in his bed no problem! But nap time is a different story. I bing him up when he's tired and he doesn't settle down. He climbs out or stands up. He won't lay down even if I'm in the room. I'm interested in advice on how to get him to sleep in his bed for nap time but I'm also curious if it's a bad habit to get him used to taking his nap on our couch in the living room. The past few days that's what we've been doing so that he will nap. Thank you!
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I encouraged my children that even if they didn't want to sleep, they still had to stay quietly in bed and play with a small toy. Eventually they would fall asleep, our nap time would be over and we all were still better for the rest break
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh boy it said 19yo! LOL I am guessing you mean months old?
But funny I can imagine an 19yr. Old climbing out of a crib??! Lol
little.worthen
by Tess on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
19 year old?
Lol I know what you meant, but the first time I read it I loled.

You just have to keep laying him down over and over. It's exhausting but after a few weeks it will become normal. I suggest a video baby monitor. Take everything out of the room besides the bed and dresser and that will help too.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

wow must be a pretty small 19 year old... what did his friends say when he was in HS?  LoL

all kidding aside, a toddler bed is a glorified crib.  buy him a twin or larger.

my DS was in a full at 13 months and my DD was in a twin at 8 months old... they never tried to leave their bed.

Quoting Kmorgante: My 19yo just started climbing out of his crib so we moved him to a toddler bed just a few days ago. At night he seems tired enough to go down in his bed no problem! But nap time is a different story. I bing him up when he's tired and he doesn't settle down. He climbs out or stands up. He won't lay down even if I'm in the room. I'm interested in advice on how to get him to sleep in his bed for nap time but I'm also curious if it's a bad habit to get him used to taking his nap on our couch in the living room. The past few days that's what we've been doing so that he will nap. Thank you!

Kmorgante
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Oh boyyyyy yes 19mo Lolol
Kmorgante
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Thanks everyone!
AHarris116
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:41 AM
I think you should do what's comfortable for you and your child. Maybe you could let him fall asleep on the couch for his nap and transfer him...or just let him stay there. Just ask yourself if what you find comfortable (which seems to be letting him nap on the couch) is an unhealthy habit for you or your child. He seems to go down ok at night so its not interfering with that. Maybe he just feels more comfortable being on the couch because he associates his bed with nighttime. Do whatever you find best for you and your little one, whatever works and produces the best results (which would be happy mommy and little one). You may be expending energy trying to do what you think you should when it's not necessary. The important thing is that he naps. Some parents wish their kids would nap ANYWHERE.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
maybe yo9u can work it around so that he shows you his new bed and how nice it looks and shows you how he lays down in it. Talk it up so it shows that he is a big boy now and has a bed like mommy and daddy. Ask him if there is a special toy he wants to sleep with and it doesn't matter if it is a stuffed toy or a fire engine as long as its something he wants in his bed. You have to make him think that his bed is the best in the house and he's very proud to show it off to everybody that comes into your house. Make it a fun thing to go to bed in his new bed. Put stickers on it or paint it a color he likes or put a special blanket on it that he picks out to be his favorite. You just have to learn how to play the game so he wins where you want him too.
FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I have no idea. My boys all stopped napping at 18 months.
Kmorgante
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Thanks everyone:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)