Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Changing your last name question

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 15 Replies
So I went to the DMV to renew my license and change my last name. The lady said " you better change your name at the post office or they might send your new license back"

So today I went to go change it and the post office guy looked at me like I was crazy. He said " you need to change your name at City Hall...or somewhere like that...we don't have any name change forms.. just address" so WTH?
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VirgoMom07
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM
That's weird. In my state you get your license right there at the dmv. They don't mail it to you. I just had to change my name with the social security office, the dmv, and then banks and credit cards. Never with the city hall or post office.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I never changed my name with the post office. I changed it at the social security office, then had to wait for them to mail me my new social security card, then took that to the DMV and changed it there. Never had a problem with city hall or the post office.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Sounds like a lot of run around?! Good luck!
spitfire06
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I didn't change my name at the po I just got my notes liscence makes to me ..I also changed my ss card to have my new last name
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Here in SoCal they mail them to you. It's a pain. But yeah, I just changed it with the SS office and applied for my new license. This was 10 years ago, though.

Quoting VirgoMom07: That's weird. In my state you get your license right there at the dmv. They don't mail it to you. I just had to change my name with the social security office, the dmv, and then banks and credit cards. Never with the city hall or post office.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Yeah! It has been! I brought a copy of my marriage certificate to the DMV and the lady said " you are going to have to bring me the original....I have to feel the seal" Even though you can see the damn seal and the judges signature.
So I left and came back with the original. What does she do right in front of me? She makes a damn copy!

Quoting Hottmomma607: Sounds like a lot of run around?! Good luck!
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Its been so long since I had to do name change.

Quoting wonderwomanT08: Yeah! It has been! I brought a copy of my marriage certificate to the DMV and the lady said " you are going to have to bring me the original....I have to feel the seal" Even though you can see the damn seal and the judges signature.

So I left and came back with the original. What does she do right in front of me? She makes a damn copy!

Quoting Hottmomma607: Sounds like a lot of run around?! Good luck!
SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Never heard of "changing your name" at the PO
Maybe she meant to do a name change for address for the purpose of receiving mail.
But that wouldnt matter anyway.
Whatever mail you are getting, will go to the address under the name your bill or letter is under.
They change mailing addresses and hold your mail.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to go to the Social Security office first, change my name there then go to the DMV. I never had to change my name at the post office.

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Same here. And I got my license the same day, they don't mail them.

Quoting Serabeth06:

I never changed my name with the post office. I changed it at the social security office, then had to wait for them to mail me my new social security card, then took that to the DMV and changed it there. Never had a problem with city hall or the post office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)