Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are routine well checks really necessary?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM
  • 27 Replies

Is it really necessary to keep going to the doctor for routine well checkups 2x a year if your child has already received all necessary vaccinations and is 100% healthy?

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Well check ups after they are a year old are only yearly for medical and every 6 months for vision and dental. 

Yes, they are very important. They help establish a baseline for your child, their norms. It is easier to spot a problem if you have this previous information and a lot of things are caught at well check ups. 

jomami
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM

We only go when there's an issue.  Not sure why we'd need to go for a check up once or twice a year - unless we needed another vaccination.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Quoting jomami:

We only go when there's an issue.  Not sure why we'd need to go for a check up once or twice a year - unless we needed another vaccination.

So that you can catch things early and to make sure they are staying on their curve, to establish a baseline for them. They are important. 

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

jomami
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Until a certain age... or until their an adult?

We do go to the dentist every 6 months - or so.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Well check ups after they are a year old are only yearly for medical and every 6 months for vision and dental. 

Yes, they are very important. They help establish a baseline for your child, their norms. It is easier to spot a problem if you have this previous information and a lot of things are caught at well check ups. 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Yes, it is. They can catch things at well childs that you may not have found out. We found out my daughter was anemic at her 3 year well child. She didn't have any symptoms necessarily and she had never been anemic before. I would have never known if they hadn't figured it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Forever, until you die. Yearly exams have been proven to lower your health care costs over your lifetime and to improve your over all health. Why wouldn't you want that? 

Quoting jomami:

Until a certain age... or until their an adult?

We do go to the dentist every 6 months - or so.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

diesel_darling
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Yes, they should be done yearly for life and every six months for dental. Personally, we do vision yearly. My kids get a yearly physical at the same time after the first of the year. They've just had theirs for this year and their dentist appointment is in a month.
MrsReticent
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Eh, I don't think so. My kids go if they're sick or if I feel they aren't in their norm. I watch for signs and symptoms. Well visits don't do thinks like X-rays or the like. At least not in my experience. They ask how the child has been, check blood pressure and temps, weigh them and see how tall they've gotten to make sure they are healthy and at the average.

They go when they're sick for me, but it's by no means a baseline for how others do or feel they should parent <3 Do what you feel is best for your family and your children. I used to be a CNA (never renewed my certification) and am currently in the medical field so I may be a bit more confident in my ability to keep track of my kids normals. By no means does it make me a doctor however.

That's just me. :)
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:44 PM

In my opinion for my family, yes. I have had some health issues and I go for follow ups or checkups every 3-6 months. I plan on making sure my daughter goes to all her well baby checks and then yearly checks. In addition to being a diabetic, I am also adopted. It was a closed adoption and I know nothing about my biological family. There is no telling what my family health history is and/or could be.

cox3
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:06 AM
We go to dentist every 6 months and doctor and eye doctor once a year. It is important for us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)