Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Independent adoption/lgbt couple

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hello!

New here so apologies if this isn't the right place to post this!

My partner and I have been together for 6.5 years and after doing a TON of research will most likely need to proceed down the path of an independent adoption in order to complete our little family. Has anyone completed an independent adoption before? How difficult did you find it. Will being a same-sex couple make this process more difficult? We are in Maryland.

Thanks for any info you might have!
-Foster
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I would look into Maryland's laws for adoption even those regarding private adoptions.   Good luck with everything.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Hi!

I would hope that being a same sex couple would have nothing to do with your ability to provide a loving home for a lucky child.  

I wish I had some advice for you, but I've never adopted.  You might want to check out the Adoptive Moms  group though.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM
We have friends who are gay and adopted a little girl 2 1/2 years ago. They fostered her and then officially adopted her. No issues for being gay. In fact, right after they got Gabby at 6 weeks old, they were asked if they could take her 2 year old sister (they said yes but I think she's still with the mom). Read "Instant Mom" by Nia Vardalos for a personal story on foster adoption.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I really don't know but you should check the laws for where you live first. Maybe contact a lawyer to get some advice.
Reina13
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I dont have any advice but I wish you all the best and a good luck. I hope you are able to complete your family. 

Foster21224
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Thank you for all the info and support everyone!

^_^

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Sorry no idea but good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)