Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Millions of Graco Car Seats Recalled!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

Graco Recalls 3.8 Million Car Seats With Sticky Latches

Image: Recalled buckle and improved buckleGRACOBABY.COM
Graco has recalled car seats with the latch at left and will replace them with the latch at right.

Graco is recalling nearly 3.8 million car safety seats because children can get trapped by buckles that may not unlatch. But the company has drawn the ire of federal safety regulators who say the recall should include another 1.8 million rear-facing car seats designed for infants. 

The recall covers 11 models sold from 2009 through 2013. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration warned that the problem could make it "difficult to remove the child from the restraint, increasing the risk of injury in the event of a vehicle crash, fire or other emergency." 

But NHTSA also criticized Graco in a letter dated Tuesday, saying the recall improperly excludes infant car seats with the same buckles. Both the company and NHTSA have received complaints about stuck buckles on the infant seats, the agency said. 

Graco said its tests found that food or beverages can make the harness buckles in the children's seats sticky and harder to use over time, and infants don’t get food or drinks on their seats like toddlers do. It said there have been no reports of injuries due to the defect.

The company will send replacement buckles for free to owners who registered their seats — including infant seats. Owners who didn't register their seats but want free replacement buckles can call the company's consumer hotline at 800-345-4109 or visit its website

The recalled models include Cozy Cline, Comfort Sport, Classic Ride 50, My Ride 65, My Ride with Safety Surround, My Ride 70, Size 4 Me 70, Smartseat, Nautilus, Nautilus Elite and Argos 70.

In documents sent to NHTSA, Graco estimated that less than 1 percent of the seats involved in the recall have had buckles that were stuck or difficult to unlatch. NHTSA, in documents filed last year, said it received 80 complaints about the seats.

—The Associated Press

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
senecas_mommy21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

BUMP!

caligirl7613
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM
i posted this to my fb and i have TONS of mommy friends, makes me sad NO ONE shared it.....i mean you click a button. its not hard. yall can share stupid stuff that doesnt matter but the important things......no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
senecas_mommy21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I posted it to fb too and was surprised not many cared.

Quoting caligirl7613: i posted this to my fb and i have TONS of mommy friends, makes me sad NO ONE shared it.....i mean you click a button. its not hard. yall can share stupid stuff that doesnt matter but the important things......no

RUSureUKnowMe
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM
We have the nautilus for my son. His buckle gets stuck all the time. Hmmm now I know why.
senecas_mommy21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM

BUMP!

LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I posted this on facebook and many of my friends shared it on there page. We have the my size 70 for my youngest but we don't have any problems at all.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM
I honestly don't see this as a big deal. You know if you have one of these buckles, because it's such a huge pitb to work with. Most of us have already called Graco about it and gotten the new buckle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM
I've been having problems with my son's too.

Quoting RUSureUKnowMe: We have the nautilus for my son. His buckle gets stuck all the time. Hmmm now I know why.
RUSureUKnowMe
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I just thought it was because he spilled apple juice everywhere.

Quoting MrsErdos2011: I've been having problems with my son's too.

Quoting RUSureUKnowMe: We have the nautilus for my son. His buckle gets stuck all the time. Hmmm now I know why.
mommy2boys03
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I used to have this issue  but my son now just uses it as a high back booster at 7.  I won't be using it after he is done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN