Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Premature Thelache, anyone else's toddler experience this???

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi ladies!

im new here and I'm hoping to get some support.  About six months ago I noticed my little girl (2) was developing a breast bud on one side. I brought it up with her pedi and he scheduled an ultrasound. The US showed no signs of abnormal lumps, just excessive tissue. I did some research and her symptoms seem to match a disorder called premature thelache. She doesn't have any visual signs of early puberty but she has an X-ray scheduled for Friday to find out her bone age. I'm just a little freaked out right now and wanted to know if anyone else has been through this.

Thanks!

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I don't know much about it. I will say your being a great mom by being so observant and it could be worse. 

Annie H., born in Bland County, Virginia, gave birth to a baby weighing 5 lb (2.3 kg) at age 10. As the girl had undeveloped breasts and could not produce milk, her mother, who had given birth to a child herself a few months prior, nursed the girl's baby for the week it lived. Annie H. was stated to have started menstruating regularly at age five.

Jozemom
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Quoting TAG9lbs:

I don't know much about it. I will say your being a great mom by being so observant and it could be worse. 

Annie H., born in Bland County, Virginia, gave birth to a baby weighing 5 lb (2.3 kg) at age 10. As the girl had undeveloped breasts and could not produce milk, her mother, who had given birth to a child herself a few months prior, nursed the girl's baby for the week it lived. Annie H. was stated to have started menstruating regularly at age five.

Thank you :) early puberty is definitely a concern of mine. I was a late bloomer (14, and even now I'm still pretty tiny up top) as was my mother. But I don't know my husbands family history (long story, but we have no contact with his mom and sister who are his only known relatives). But, if it happens it happens, but it assure you she will not be getting pregnant at 10 if I have anything to do with it!

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My niece started developing buds at about age 5 or 6.  She didn't start her period though until she was around 10.  For some kids it can be normal, but it's good you're talking to her doctor.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM

How is her weight?  I have heard early puberty is usually from the estrogen in the excess fat so many kids have now days. 

Jozemom
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

How is her weight?  I have heard early puberty is usually from the estrogen in the excess fat so many kids have now days. 

That's the thing, she's only 24 pounds which is in the 50 percent range. She's never been a chubby baby, which is why the tissue was so obvious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN