Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

weight loss surgery

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM
  • 16 Replies
Have any of you done it? Im trying to gather information. Ive looked online but I want to read someones success stories that I know isn't a hoax. My aunt had one done and lost 345 lbs shr has kept it off too, that was 16yrs ago. So im wondering any others?
Im doing things right. Ive been walking, drinking water and eatinv right. I know it takes time and its not going to just fall off in a mth. Im just wondering if there are things to help you along. I have lost 14lbs of water weight in the last month n a half. Now its like im at a stand still and not losing anything. I dont want to get frustrated and quit, but i get that way and i am trying real hard to not let it discourage me.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM
I know 3 ppl who did gastric bypass & 1 who did the Lapband.

You have to be at least 100lbs over weight. You have to attend some classes & see a nutritionist. You also meet with a therapist.

My sister had it done about 5 years ago & has kept off all the weight. Sometimes she needs to gain back a bit more...

It's not as easy as ppl make it seem. You diet becomes very limited. You can only have liquids & soft foods for the first few weeks I think.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Thanks for replying. I know it wouldnt be easy, I jusr feel like I really need a good shove if ya know what i mean. Im well over a 100 lbs over the weight I should be. Its so aggravating to me.. :/

Quoting RADmomma: I know 3 ppl who did gastric bypass & 1 who did the Lapband.

You have to be at least 100lbs over weight. You have to attend some classes & see a nutritionist. You also meet with a therapist.

My sister had it done about 5 years ago & has kept off all the weight. Sometimes she needs to gain back a bit more...

It's not as easy as ppl make it seem. You diet becomes very limited. You can only have liquids & soft foods for the first few weeks I think.

Anonymously3
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Have you thought about weight watchers.over having surgery.you can still eat what you eat now it's just portion control and adding more fruit and veggies and the good stuff to your diet.and it's not a diet so it should work better.im doing it and its amazing 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM
i know people who have done bypass and lap band. both versions have given some serious issues. a few have done fine. one person I know had to have so mych skin removed and tightened up over several surgeries and had serious down time. others couldnt throw up while having the flu and had to have their dr loosen the lap band in a hurry.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Several people have mwntioned weight waychers to me. My issue I cant stick to anything weather its a diet or not. Im pushing myself with this but i get to frustrated with little thibg and then im done. Thats my issue

Quoting Anonymously3:

Have you thought about weight watchers.over having surgery.you can still eat what you eat now it's just portion control and adding more fruit and veggies and the good stuff to your diet.and it's not a diet so it should work better.im doing it and its amazing 

Anonymously3
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

What do you think might help you stick to something WW is not a diet that's why I love it I can't diet to save my life but this is easy I can still eat what I love and lies weight.what can help you?

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Several people have mwntioned weight waychers to me. My issue I cant stick to anything weather its a diet or not. Im pushing myself with this but i get to frustrated with little thibg and then im done. Thats my issue

Quoting Anonymously3:

mommy20122013ce
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM

im doing nutrisystem right now and so far its working. i know some ppl need the surgery due to medical problems that prevent them from loosing weight but other than that i always thought of it as the "easy way" even though i know its not. my sister and step mom both had the bypass. my step mom is still id say overweight and she had the surgery yrs ago. my sister keeps getting pregnant so who knows...she lost a lot b4 getting pregnant but now she has very hanging skin cause she didnt work out. the problem i think with my step mom is that she still eats crap. the surgery only makes you eat way less but if you still eat junk food than its not really worth it. i would try the weight watchers or nutrisystem and keep exercising. i know its tough...believe me im well over  100lbs overweight myself but its healthier to just try to do it the traditional way 

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Im not sure. I have hyperthyroidism so its always been a challenge to lose weight. I need a miracle to help me stick to something... :/

Quoting Anonymously3:

What do you think might help you stick to something WW is not a diet that's why I love it I can't diet to save my life but this is easy I can still eat what I love and lies weight.what can help you?

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Several people have mwntioned weight waychers to me. My issue I cant stick to anything weather its a diet or not. Im pushing myself with this but i get to frustrated with little thibg and then im done. Thats my issue

Quoting Anonymously3:

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Hypo not hyper

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Im not sure. I have hyperthyroidism so its always been a challenge to lose weight. I need a miracle to help me stick to something... :/

Quoting Anonymously3:

Quoting Anonymously3:

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM
i know it is. ugh. I have struggled with hypothyroidism my whole life. I actually just signed me n my hubby up to go to a thyroid seminar the 22nd. Hoping i can get some answers since docs have no idea all they do is up my meds. Im so frustrated.

Quoting mommy20122013ce:

im doing nutrisystem right now and so far its working. i know some ppl need the surgery due to medical problems that prevent them from loosing weight but other than that i always thought of it as the "easy way" even though i know its not. my sister and step mom both had the bypass. my step mom is still id say overweight and she had the surgery yrs ago. my sister keeps getting pregnant so who knows...she lost a lot b4 getting pregnant but now she has very hanging skin cause she didnt work out. the problem i think with my step mom is that she still eats crap. the surgery only makes you eat way less but if you still eat junk food than its not really worth it. i would try the weight watchers or nutrisystem and keep exercising. i know its tough...believe me im well over  100lbs overweight myself but its healthier to just try to do it the traditional way 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)