Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Looking for friends....

Posted by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello,
I am a 33 year old mom with four kids.  I have children ranging from the ages of 13 to 6 months old  (Teen to infant).  I also just completed my BSN at NKU.  It was hard getting my bachelors while raising four kids but I did it.  Now I am looking for a job.  It is hard because I don't want to leave my little ones at the baby sitters and the older ones home alone.  It is breaking my heart.  I have been told mothers do it all the time and I am being selfish.  This comment although very true doesn't make the task any easier.  Finding a nursing job that is going to fit into my family life seems an impossible task.  If anyone wants to talk or give some advice I will be waiting....
Thanks,
Shannon

by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovingmybaby
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:30 PM
For sure!!! I live in Seattle Wa, but if you ever just want to talk and what not I am down to talk and share advice.
AME0303
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:39 PM
What about being a school nurse? You could try to be at the school your children are at, then you don't work crazy hours, and you'll have time at home. I know its hard, and you are not being selfish. I hate when people say that. I am a SAHM and cannot think about going back to teaching. I cried putting in job applications and then decided it wasn't for me!

Good luck,
Amy
onemomsopinion
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:40 PM
I can't offer advice because I have no experience here.    I'm a SAHM of an 11 year old.     I can offer my support.

A family friend of mine completed her Master's degree in RN when she was pregnant and finished up about  a year after the birth of her first child--if I remember correctly.      It was tough, but she managed.   She was an amazing woman who died about two years ago.  

You worked so hard to finish your education and going to work now seems like a no brainer, but a daunting task given the age of your children.      Good luck in whatever you decide.    Can you start off part-time?    Realize that this is going to be hard whether you work part-time or full-time, but perhaps easing into full-time would be easier for you and the family?  

Women have to face all kinds of tough choices and rarely do you hear men discuss such a thing about what they gave up or felt guilty about.   It's a strange thing.

kidzrn
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Im a NICU nurse! Although I am doing the SAHM thing right now I have worked full time and left my kids with a sitter. Nursing gives you the opportunity of working night shift which may work out well for you. You can have a sitter watch your smaller kids while you sleep from 8am-2pm. Then you get up pickup the older kids and hang with everyone until you leave for the next shift at 6pm. Its going to be hard to leave them and really nothing is going to make it easy. There is also home health nursing but without experience I don't know if that will be a good option. Good luck!!!!! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!!

((HUGS))
Michelle
jenny269
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Well not sure how much I can help other then to say
I wish you all the best and can under stand the need for the income
but the wanting to be with your kids. I will get easier and their will be days
Your even happy to be out of the house. Nothing wrong with that at all.
When you became a mom your didn’t stop being a person.
I would look around the net maybe you could fine a job that you could do mostly
from home or around the kids hours that would fit with your training in some way.
These days you can find just about anything. Or make your own.
Maybe you could look in to starting a business helping other sick people or
People from getting sick in the first places. You could also look in to being a home
nures that would give you better hours and let you take the little ones with you to work
I wish you all the best!
mooremom
by on May. 9, 2007 at 12:59 PM
I have no idea what your financial situation is and if you HAVE to go to work. You know, now that you have your degree (no one can ever take it away). You could always find a job when you feel your youngest is old enough or in school. Just a thought.

I also went to school as an adult (at time was a single parent)  Took a long time to get my BS. and get a good job. I gave it up to stay at home after I remarried and had a baby (now 2 year old). I know I can always go back into the work force even if I have to take a pay cut. 
Shannon813
by on May. 11, 2007 at 6:59 PM
I don't have the option of staying home. My husband who used to be understanding is now angry bc he wants me to get a job immediately. He says "What if I wanted to stay home and take care of the kids". I don't know how to respond to that. I initially wanted to be a school nurse but he says they don't make enough money. It is all about financial issues which is putting a drain on our family and our marriage. I feel like I have no one to relate to in this situation. I am dealing with many people who think I am selfish for being concerned about leaving my children. I am not saying that I am not willing to work, I am just saying it is hard. I can't just make this feeling magically disappear.
gothmanswife
by on May. 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM
I know this sounds odd but have you gone to like an assisted living place and maybe passed out meds or anything because my hubby is a nurse (CNA) and he does home health care and hes a med passer at an assisted living place and i work at bath and body works so he works on the days i have off and i work on the days he has off so they are pretty flexable on scheduling. and if you want add me as a friend
Christianmom31
by on May. 11, 2007 at 7:15 PM
I know how you feel I went through that for a long time but when my husband passed away I no longer had a choice it is really hard but eventually you get used to it
Robin
by Group Admin on May. 12, 2007 at 9:36 AM
Hi,

Nice to meet you! 

There are a lot of really nice Moms here so say hi and send out some friend invitations.  You may want to check out the post 
Getting Started and Making Friends at CafeMom.

Feel free to stop by our group Chatterbox to see if anyone if chatting.  You can always make a post to invite people to join you for a chat.

Glad you're here!Smile
Robin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)