Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi all

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi! My name is Jill and I am the single mother of a beautiful 13 month old girl named Olivia.

I am looking for other single, working moms who can relate to the problems I am facing as a single mom with an irregular work schedule.

I know that all the professionals recommend routines, but what if you can't maintain a consistent routine because you have to work to pay the bills? I want to know how other mothers do it because, honestly, sometimes I feel lost.  

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Hi welcome to the group! When my oldest was young I worked a hectic and crazy schedule as a salary manager. What do you do for a living?

retailsinglemom
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Thanks! I am a retail manager, so my schedule has no regularity at all. My daughter splits her time between going to an in-home babysitter and being with my disabled father when she's not with me. She is rather spoiled from too much attention, lol. 

We obvioulsy have a lot of trouble with bedtime, because she gets to bed at different times. And she HATES her crib. I know all the experts say that you should have a "routine", but what do you do if that's not possible?

funhappymom
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

You do what you can. Try to set a routine around what you work. It's all you can do. The experts think they know everything but they don't. Being in the thick of it is how you work things out for yourself. Do what you think is best for you and baby.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the site, Jill!  Do what you can to have some kind of routine but don't stress about it.  Little Olivia may become more flexible if she isn't held to a strict routine. :)

taKENheart
by Flovely on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Hi, Jill and welcome to the group!
I hope you are able to connect with other single working moms and gain good advice ;)

FlutterbyMom3
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a single mom anymore but I was for 9 years of my sons life.
You can have an unstructured routine. Meaning, set things to do like bedtime routines, even if they're at different times each night. You can have a routine even if it's not always happening at the same times every day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN