Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Rice Cereal....?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 33 Replies

If you gave your baby rice cereal at all, when did you introduce it and how much did you mix in how much formula?  Also, what was the result?  (Did the baby sleep? Puke? Get constipated?) 

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM

BUMP!

dingysfamily
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM

My kids did get rice cereal, but to be honest I don't remember when I introduced it to them or the mixture.  My youngest is almost 25!!!  I don't remember any of them having any problem with it though.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

20 yrs ago, my son was two weeks old when I introduced cereal to him through a bottle. I put just enough that it could still go through the nipple without me cutting it. That took some tinkering! It sat heavier on his tummy and yes, he did sleep alot better, spit up less and was less cranky.

Retrokitty
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Rice cereal is very unhealthy for babies. 

1. They do not have the enzyme to digest grains until around 12 months.

2. It holds no nutritional value at all. Its just empty calories. It pretty much fills their tummies and tricks them into not being hungry. Many babies fail to get the nutrients they desperately need for growing because of this.

3. Its constipating.

If you do choose to feed your child it, it is crucial you wait until at least 6 months. By then babies gut is at least developed enough to handle food. However, at 6 months they can eat whatever you eat so its better to feed them something nutritious. Never ever put rice cereal in a bottle, it should be fed with a spoon.

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:39 PM

4 months, I would mix it with formula in a bowl. It was only a little bit, enough to thicken the formula to where I could feed her with a spoon. She didn't have any negative effects from it.

Retrokitty
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

How old is your child? The effects of it don't show until a person is around middle aged. Anywhere from 20-50. 

Quoting The_Doodle:

4 months, I would mix it with formula in a bowl. It was only a little bit, enough to thicken the formula to where I could feed her with a spoon. She didn't have any negative effects from it.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I think DS was about 6 months and DD was about 5 months. Use more milk/formula at first, as they get better at moving it from the front of their mouths to the back and swallowing, you can make it thicker. Both kids were great sleepers so it didn't make a difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I mixed a bottle of formula up. Poured some cereal in a bowl. Poured the bottle into the rice and mixed it to the right consistency then spoon fed them. Babies were fuller longer. I started at 5 months with each of my kids and for the record they are not obese.
Mater-three
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds had such severe reflux that his gi doc was going to perform surgery. He aspirated and ended up in the hospital. He was on the verge of a feeding tube. And then a new Gi in the practice told us to add cereal to the bottle. Not just few teaspoons either but the amount was so much that it was like a very thick milkshake. I was going through a box of rice cereal in a day or a little more. And he started gaining weight and eating and not vomiting. He was 6 weeks old and he is now 10 yrs. He still uses rice cereal to thicken his liquids. They make thickeners but they are corn based and he cannot tolerate corn. Cereal may be so bad for most babies but it saved my son's life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM
I'd skip it. It's nutrition less cardboard. I wait till 6 months and just feed baby tiny bits of whatever you're eating.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)