Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kohls VS Walmart

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM
  • 17 Replies
I work for WalMart and am thinking about moving to kohls for many reasons I will list below. But which would you work for and why and do you see my reasons as valid?

Reasons for leaving walmart

• I tend to do the work that needs to be done correctly the first time, and my other coworkers tend to do a half way done job.

• I wont go very far from where I am not with my degree unless I want to move out of state.

Going to Kohls

• I can advised (sp) farther then a sales associate with my degree

• I can/hope that people will do their job to the best of their abilities

• possibly better pay

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
qpidkid
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I've worked at both WalMart and Kohl's.  They both sucked at I quit after 7 months.  The CSMs (customer service managers) don't care about you no matter what degree you've earned or your age.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. At Kohl's I was given the job of Customer Service Rep (where you take returns) in Kohl's.  It's barely a step up from a regular customer service worker.  I started at $8.50/hr.  Was never given a break to eat a snack, drink water, or use the restroom as needed.  If I had to use the bathroom, I had to wait 2 hours or whenever another worker could cover for me.  I asked if this was normal and it is, throughout the company.  They don't care about you....WalMart, Kohl's, any of those big box retailers.  They never gave me more than 20 hours a week and that was a good week.  Some weeks I only got 6 hours.  Terrible.  No one is full-time except the department managers.  They also are very high pressure on you to get customers to sign up for their credit card and mailing list.  You have a quota to make everyday.  If you miss quota, they post your name in the breakroom so everyone can see you're a loser.

Good Luck.

qpidkid
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM

BUMP!

Girlnboots
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM
You will have the problems you have at WalMart anywhere. People are lazy.

I work at Walmart too, and my store is loving and caring toward its associates for the most part. We are one big family. I think it helps that we are a small, rural community and half the associates really are family.
taKENheart
by Flovely on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM

I haven't worked for either but I've heard that it's hard to work for Walmart.  I don't know if it's hard or if those people are just complaining about their job like many people do.
Good luck!  I wish I could give you advice.

kolbe73
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I worked at Kohl's and loved it!!

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM
I actually work at Sam's club

Quoting qpidkid:

I've worked at both WalMart and Kohl's.  They both sucked at I quit after 7 months.  The CSMs (customer service managers) don't care about you no matter what degree you've earned or your age.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. At Kohl's I was given the job of Customer Service Rep (where you take returns) in Kohl's.  It's barely a step up from a regular customer service worker.  I started at $8.50/hr.  Was never given a break to eat a snack, drink water, or use the restroom as needed.  If I had to use the bathroom, I had to wait 2 hours or whenever another worker could cover for me.  I asked if this was normal and it is, throughout the company.  They don't care about you....WalMart, Kohl's, any of those big box retailers.  They never gave me more than 20 hours a week and that was a good week.  Some weeks I only got 6 hours.  Terrible.  No one is full-time except the department managers.  They also are very high pressure on you to get customers to sign up for their credit card and mailing list.  You have a quota to make everyday.  If you miss quota, they post your name in the breakroom so everyone can see you're a loser.

Good Luck.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 2:15 AM

ADVANCE to a higher position which is really unlikely for any of these huge franchised stores...Advise is a totally different word with different meaning.  I would see if any mom n pop type stores need help first since they are the ones who would reward for hard work and loyalty.

Kelvzz
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Work for Costco. They pay their people better. Treat them better and promote 

Girlnboots
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM
My OH has been with Walmart for less than 2 years and is already one step below management as a grocery ZMS. He doesn't have a degree or anything, so advancement is definitely possible. I think walmart has a whole gets a terrible reputation, and in some ways, totally deserves it. But there are plenty of individual stores that treat their associates better than others. Is it possible for the OP to transfer stores?
ljmom24
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM
You are going to find lazy workers everywhere. I have similar issues in an office setting. Think you need to look at benefits, pay and advancement. I stay in non profit where they pay is less and movement limited but the benefits package is pretty good and that was before we switched and used my company health insurance. Sometimes it's the little things that add up
And make an employer worth going to or sticking with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)