Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think there is a correlation?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM
  • 303 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Did you breast feed?

Options:

I was under the age of 21 and did breast feed

I was over the age of 21 and did Not breast feed

I was over the age of 21 and did breast feed

I was under the age of 21 and did Not breast feed

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 889

View Results

I wanna get your opinions. Do you think there is a correlation between a moms choice to breastfeed or not based on the age they gave birth at. It seems to me like the younger the mother is the less likely they are to want to breastfeed their child. I know a few moms that had their children very young and they went to bottle immediately. So tell me, how old were you when you had your child and did you decide to breastfeed. I had both my boys at age 26 and tried breastfeeding both of them. my first for 8 weeks and my second for 6 weeks...i couldnt produce enough to make it any longer. Thank for your thoughts :)

I just wanted to say Kudos to all  you ladies!!! im a little jealous i couldnt bf as long as most of you ladies have/are!!! thanks for all the replies!!!! :)

by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turnergrace
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I was 20 when I gave birth. I breast fed because I knew it was healthiest and I wasn't keen on having to get WIC to pay for formula when clearly I was able to do that on my own.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Not so sure age plays a factor,
While some it is up to the Mom ... mho :)

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:48 AM
12 moms liked this

I was 19 and breastfed, which was really against the grain in my family. I was always a 'research everything' type or it probably wouldn't have even occurred to me.

Education is a known correlation. I would think young moms are less likely to be educated simply because they've had less time to learn and gain experience, so in that regard it may be a factor.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a few weeks from my 24th birthday when I had my son and I nursed him for 2.5 years.
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I got pregnant with my daughter at age 19 and gave birth at age 20.

I exclusively breastfed. It had more to do with my level of education on the topic than my age.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM
I was 26 with DD and stopped BF after 12 weeks because I hated pumping at work and not being able to share feedings with DH.

I was 30 with DS and went to 15 months for I stayed home that first year.

It was all about time for me. I had oodles of it when home so bf was easier the 2nd time.
caustinb
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
With my youngest, I was 28 and bf for 9 months, then went back to work. My oldest I was 25 and he couldn't bf because he was tongue tied and I was too scared to let the dr. clip him.
ABCMomma0211
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I was 16 with my first....and couldnt because my milk never came in.

With my twins i went up to two weeks and stopped pumping because i wasnt producing enough and i was pumping every 1-2 hours like you should be
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I was 34 when I had my first and didn't have the desire to bf. I tried it anyway and he wouldn't latch and my milk never came in. I worked with lactation consultants too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I was 17, but when I had my babies, formula was new, and docs were advising women to use it. Breast feeding was considered old fashioned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)